Page 54 of 94 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The magazine release finger piece on the P2000 is significantly smaller than the ones on the P30 and VP pistols; try one of those before summarily dismissing the HK lever-type magazine release is my suggestion.

Best, Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    The mag release takes some getting used to, for sure. Once you figure it out, it definitely works. I use my trigger finger and have the larger levers installed from a different H&K. HK45c, I think.
    PN: HKPHK45054
    it's the mag release for the full size HK45, and it fits perfectly in the P2000 series guns. gives you a bigger perch, although not as big as the P30 series.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Installed trijicon hd xr in place of my 10-8 sights. Poi is much better and I really prefer the sight picture. Ran 200 more rounds through my p30 tgs and keep getting better with the lem trigger.

Having a difficult time not going p2ksk/p30sk over a g26.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    PN: HKPHK45054
    it's the mag release for the full size HK45, and it fits perfectly in the P2000 series guns. gives you a bigger perch, although not as big as the P30 series.
    This is a must have. I have this on my P2000 and USPc. Not only is it easier to release, it eliminates the pinch I get with the factory release.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    This is a must have. I have this on my P2000 and USPc. Not only is it easier to release, it eliminates the pinch I get with the factory release.
    The stock one pinched me too. I forgot about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    Thanks. Reason I asked about the button is that I've seen the SFP9 button release version in Europe. While I'll certainly give the larger levers a chance, I also wouldn't mind the commonality with just about every other relevant gun on the planet either. The P30 checks every box I can think of for AIWB carry other than that release though. Need to get my hands on one, the P2k was the closest thing I could find for rent at my local range.

For those that shoot H&Ks along with other guns, how do you find the transition between the lever and button style release?
    I would prefer a well designed button over a paddle for reasons of ergonomics and commanility. However, while reloading quickly could be important, it is pretty far down in my list of EDC priorities, especially on a double stack gun. It is important that your magazine stay seated, and a harder to reload release might contribute to the mag not falling out at the wrong time.

I have no one size fits all solution for paddles. On the P99 I use my dominant middle finger. On the USP FS, I use my trigger finger. On a P30 with a medium back strap, I use my dominant thumb.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    However, while reloading quickly could be important, it is pretty far down in my list of EDC priorities, especially on a double stack gun. It is important that your magazine stay seated, and a harder to reload release might contribute to the mag not falling out at the wrong time.
    That's a pretty good point. I used to follow all the "extended slide stop, extended mag release, thumb scoops in grip panels, etc." threads as I couldn't reach any of those controls without shifting my hand on the gun.

Then I began to realize, that maybe the guys (or gals) that designed guns put the things they didn't want you touching with a shooting grip out of your reach so you couldn't foul them while you were shooting the gun. Can I reach the thumb safety and trigger on my 1911 with a shooting grip - yes. The fact that I can't reach the mag release or slide stop with my shooting hand is probably an advantage rather than a disadvantage.
    Last edited by JTQ; 05-28-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    Thanks. Reason I asked about the button is that I've seen the SFP9 button release version in Europe. While I'll certainly give the larger levers a chance, I also wouldn't mind the commonality with just about every other relevant gun on the planet either. The P30 checks every box I can think of for AIWB carry other than that release though. Need to get my hands on one, the P2k was the closest thing I could find for rent at my local range.

For those that shoot H&Ks along with other guns, how do you find the transition between the lever and button style release?
    I've had no issues between button and lever releases. This year, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm concentrating on two platforms-my P30L V1 LEM, and Beretta 92D. I run one for 6 months, and then the other (I'm currently in the 92D cycle at least through August). I have a daily dry fire practice, of which magazine ejection and reloads are a portion of.

As the ergos of both guns are excellent (the P30, stock; the 92D with upgraded grips (Langdon) and magazine release (Wilson Combat Extended Round Checkered); when switching, I've had no transition issues.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    However, while reloading quickly could be important, it is pretty far down in my list of EDC priorities, especially on a double stack gun. It is important that your magazine stay seated, and a harder to reload release might contribute to the mag not falling out at the wrong time.
    This has long been my take as well. I have large hands and XL simian thumbs and it has never bothered me to shift my pistol a tad to reload.

I've been looking to add a railed TDA pistol to my world and I believe the P30L is getting the nod at this point. There's a range about 45min away that has a P30 rental, I need to get over there and shoot it.

Shot the P30 and it's a completely, well, ok pistol. I had hoped to love it, but felt nothing more than- yep, it's serviceable. That is one l-o-n-g double action trigger pull. Got to handle an LEM for the first time, an impressive system for sure, but not one I'm interested in.

Been telling myself how much I don't need the Wilson Beretta Centurion for this role, but wouldn't you know, they had one (with action job) in the case...friggin wonderful in the hand, back to believing I must have one.

How well and comfortable you shoot a P30 can somewhat depend on how you tailor the backstrap and side panels; for me, my performance with the P30 was much more affected by backstrap and panel selection/synchronization to me individually.

That's often difficult to do with a rental, but if the range is permissive, it might be worthwhile to play with some of the various combinations; I ended up with a the small backstrap, small right panel and large left panel.

And yes, for most, LEM is very much an acquired taste-it requires some dedicated practice, at least for me.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-02-2018 at 12:40 PM.

User Tag List