Page 51 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

Quote Originally Posted by bpack325 View Post
    I had initially struggled with grip and panel selection when I first switched to HKs. I too went with L side panels to give that effect, but have since found that S panels on the sides and a more Bob Vogel type grip have more positive results. It’s a little trickier given the size of the p30 slide release, but I sink my support hand pretty far in (triggerguard hitting between base and middle knuckle on the support index finger, and counter-torquing each hand). I can be more aggressive with support hand cant with the VP9,but haven’t found dialing it back for a p30 to be a dramatic change.
    The aggressive thumb forward "Vogel" grip has never really worked for me. I don't know if I'm too weak or misunderstanding his YT explanations, but the more aggressive I get, the more likely my support hand is to break contact in recoil.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    The aggressive thumb forward "Vogel" grip has never really worked for me. I don't know if I'm too weak or misunderstanding his YT explanations, but the more aggressive I get, the more likely my support hand is to break contact in recoil.
    I haven't found value in the thumbs-forward portion of his technique, either.

However, the inward torquing technique adding extra force from the forearms has definitely improved my recoil control. Particularly at the extremes of speed.

I don't think the thumb protrusion is very important in function for grip and control of a pistol. I think it's really about the meaty bit below the knuckles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I concur, I mainly just worry about keeping the strong hand thumb up and out of the way of the slide release.
    IDPA : A454752
    USPSA : TY91150

Here is where I put skateboard tape for reference and traction, and what my support hand grip looks like (except support thumb along frame).

Name:  ABB1B07D-1C20-4D16-BCE9-E50688E47153.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  BDA96009-19DA-47EC-B6CE-FBDF90E1359B.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  35.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is where I put skateboard tape for reference and traction, and what my support hand grip looks like (except support thumb along frame).

Name:  ABB1B07D-1C20-4D16-BCE9-E50688E47153.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  BDA96009-19DA-47EC-B6CE-FBDF90E1359B.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  35.5 KB
    Any chance you could post of pick from the same point of view but SHO?

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Any chance you could post of pick from the same point of view but SHO?
    Look at the end of the TPC Handgun Mastery AAR thread, pictures there.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I got a chance to play with this a bit today. As The pics above indicate, you don’t need to get much behind the grip, and having the L grip panel on the support side seems to help.
    David S.

Primarily a Beretta shooter here but when I shoot my P30s I run the small backstrap and large side panels. Gives me the best feel in hand and best control and leverage on the DA shot. M/L hands.
    Shoot more, post less...

Just traded my las Sig for another P30s. Love the safety on it. Now my wife cannot get mad of me carrying around the house OWB in my Raven.
    Last edited by ffhounddog; 04-10-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Just won a BC date code P30L LEM in .40 for 450 shipped. It's a V2 but I'll change the springs to a V1. Looking forward to spending time with it.

User Tag List