Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

Great thread. The info. on extraction is interesting and something for us all to consider.

I still haven't tried a P30 but the LEM and the hammer for AIWB and the stupid reliability are winning me over big-time to my P2000 for concealed carry. I love the size and consider it a (for me) product-improved Glock 19. My previous experience with USPs for duty use was positive in the extreme and the better ergonomics of the 2000 series (and the fanboys here whom I respect so highly) have sent me back to HK land with no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Do people typically use their strong hand thumb with the paddle or their shooter finger?

I have no experience with the paddle type so I apologize if the questions are basic knowledge that I'm unaware of.

Also, if this is too far off topic I can start a new thread.
    I've ran the P30 since 2009 and use the 'shooter finger' to actuate the mag release.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Do people typically use their strong hand thumb with the paddle or their shooter finger?

I have no experience with the paddle type so I apologize if the questions are basic knowledge that I'm unaware of.

Also, if this is too far off topic I can start a new thread.
    Typically, the trigger finger. The paddle is farther forward, being on the trigger guard whereas a button usually is on the edge of the grip behind the trigger guard, so using a thumb would be quite a stretch for most people.

With that said, before I put an extended HK45c mag release on my P2000, I used both my thumb and trigger finger together, as I could reach with both and the extra leverage was needed with the standard, nubby HK paddle of yesteryear. Totally not applicable to the monster-truck sized paddle on the P30, but just figured I'd mention it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I tend to pinch with thumb and index finger, too. It's not really necessary but it costs me nothing to do and it's sure to work, so why not.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Typically, the trigger finger. The paddle is farther forward, being on the trigger guard whereas a button usually is on the edge of the grip behind the trigger guard, so using a thumb would be quite a stretch for most people.

With that said, before I put an extended HK45c mag release on my P2000, I used both my thumb and trigger finger together, as I could reach with both and the extra leverage was needed with the standard, nubby HK paddle of yesteryear. Totally not applicable to the monster-truck sized paddle on the P30, but just figured I'd mention it.
    How do you use both thumb and index without breaking your grip? Curious.

I think it's a mixed bag on how certain people actuate the mag release, but would wager many use their thumb as that's the muscle memory akin to many other weapons Trigger finger is just more natural for me.

I've even heard a couple guys say that they use their strong hand middle fingers, but I would figure that's few and far between.

The concerns with using the trigger finger are mainly related to the release's proximity to the trigger and potential NDs, especially under stress. Also, for people that have a hard time with Rule #2, it's probably not the best method.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    How do you use both thumb and index without breaking your grip? Curious.
    Oh, no, don't get me wrong.....I would have to break my grip to do such, requiring the same amount of rotation as a conventional thumb-to-button method. I considered the reliable ejection of the magazine preferable to not shifting my grip and having an unreliable method, as I don't have enough leverage to use only my trigger finger (or only my thumb, for that matter) with the older nubby paddle.

For me, this is all a non-issue with the P30 or larger HK45c mag release (fits other HKs, for those interested).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Are folks suggesting the HK extracts/ejects better than a Sig 226? Or, is a safer appendix pistol than a 226? Or is a better threat management tool than a 226?

I just put about 8,000 rounds thru a 2012 226 without a single anything (stoppage, malfunction/breakage) Haven't had a single anything go wrong in a G17 since I started shooting them again in April ( over 10,000 rounds, many with just one hand). During this same period, YVK has broken two trigger return springs in his "carry" P30, which is a pretty big Achilles' tendon for the P30. I think at least one NM based PF staff member also has a P30 in his safe with a broken TRS.

I think the HK P30 is a fine pistol and own 7 of them. However, in order, I measurably shoot the Glock best, then the Sig, and then finally the HK. I think something in the HK plastic case causes HK owners to drink the cool aide and start coming up with all sorts of reasons to justify them, even if they shoot other stuff better. I think part of the rub is often HK owners aren't content to just carry an HK, but have to tell us shooting other platforms how unsafe/unreliable our Glock/Sig/whatever is.

If I had a better Internet connection tonight, and wasn't so tired, I would do a Letterman style top ten reasons everything else but a P30 is junk. Gotta run and go shoot a coyote now.

Deleted, duplicate post on account of lousy connection

GJM,

I understand where you are coming from and as a self professed HK fanbois, I will tell you my reasons are all logic for me.
    I spent a few years banging around with a Smith, CZ, Sig, FN mainly due to budget and ignorance. When I learned to shoot from professionals, I began to learn that money and a clue could buy me a gun that fit my needs and my desires.

My P30 is the only gun that allows me to properly run all features with one or two hands. Due to short fingers, I can't hit the mag or slide release on any other gun consistently and properly without breaking my grip and sometimes even requiring some support hand help.

Could I shoot a Walther better? Yes, but I like AIWB because I'm small framed and want a hammer fired pistol. Same with a Glock in addition to the aforementioned issues.

In the end, I've put almost 20k± (not a lot of rounds for some of you) through my P30s (3 over the years and currently I swapped one V3 for a V1 and looking to do the same with my remaining V3) in the last 2.5 years without a hiccup and until there is a better mouse trap for me, I'll stay with what works for me and you should do the same.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List