Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

Nice explanation, Wayne.
    There has to be some sort of Murphy's law here, as I got hit in the eye pro during my previous session, and nearly hit today. Those are the first two instances in almost 18K rounds. Perhaps I need to clean the extractor and its channel.

My range beater had a failure to extract with a WW case about the same round count. I was cleaning the extractor hook area with a stiff Nylon brush at each cleaning, however, once I got the extractor out, it was evident my cleaning was not complete there and the channel had enough build up to prevent full inward travel. I have not had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Let me further expand on the extraction issue. People often criticize, or question, Wayne and I about how much importance we place on these pistols working well during the entire cycle of operation. Specifically, "why is extraction performance so important when my xxxxx pistol ejects okay when I have a magazine in it", and "who cares where the brass goes....it only hits me in the face once in awhile". The way a pistol extracts and ejects is not as important when you standing upright in a solid two handed firing grip and slaying evil cardboard and paper Goblins under blue skies and cotton ball clouds with nary a care in the world. When your pistol is literally running on the ragged edge of extractor performance under these conditions, think about how it will being working when you are laying in a gutter covered in blood, injured, and firing one handed (maybe your support hand, or with only a few fingers of the support hand). I really do not want to be clearing a failure to extract malfunction under these conditions. If that is not a worry, then it is irrelevant. I tend to hope for the best scenario and plan for the worst. I have sold off all but one of my Glock pistols that has poor extraction issues and replaced them with P30's. I still have more Glocks, but the numbers are getting close. I didn't think anything would move me away from Glock 9mm's pistols, the extraction issues have.
    Well unless most of our SOCOM gunfighters never use their pistols in these tough situations; the commonly used pistols must be working well.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Despite the price, the P30 set up with a LEM trigger seems to be about as good as it gets in today's service pistol market.
    I ran into one of our local gun stores the other day and the P30 was priced over $1k, ouch!

I know it's subjective and different for everyone but how difficult was it to transition to the magazine release of the P30? Any other HK owners please add your input as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    I ran into one of our local gun stores the other day and the P30 was priced over $1k, ouch!

I know it's subjective and different for everyone but how difficult was it to transition to the magazine release of the P30? Any other HK owners please add your input as well.
    From just a couple of boxes through a rental - my conclusion was I wish every pistol used that trigger guard paddle. Better mousetrap. And I'm just "meh" about the shooting experience overall.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I didn't find it hard. I switched from Sigs primarily, to HKs, a few years ago. The P30 was my first.

I don't have tiny hands, but they are definitely not large. For me, the 1911-style, "button", releases make me break my strong hand grip ever so slightly, in order to actuate. Not a huge issue, but HKs fix that for me. With the exception of the P239, all other Sigs, and all Glocks, require some of adjustment for me to get my thumb to the release.

My first pistol was an SW99, which had the paddle release. I didn't know it back then (was in school and couldn't afford to shoot it), but I prefer the paddle.

Some use a different technique, citing safety concerns, reach, etc., but I use my trigger finger to actuate. It is the quickest and most efficient means, for me, of hitting the mag release. After hitting it, my trigger finger immediately indexes back on the frame/slide, and waits for the reload to complete, etc.

All this said, what draws most people to the P30 initially, are the ergonomics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input gents.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar

I didn't find it to be a problem at all...but I had spent time with the USP and the Walther P99 prior, so it wasn't an unfamiliar arrangement to me. I switch between using conventional mag releases and the paddles on my P30 without conscious thought at this point.
    3/15/2016

When I shoot the P30 9mm, HK45, I use the same thumb position to eject mags I use with Glocks etc. I do not think about the paddle, i just place my thumb and eject the mag. This is not the fastest way but I do not have to think about which pistol I am shooting. This may be chance or hand size but it is consistent.

Do people typically use their strong hand thumb with the paddle or their shooter finger?

I have no experience with the paddle type so I apologize if the questions are basic knowledge that I'm unaware of.

Also, if this is too far off topic I can start a new thread.

User Tag List