Page 13 of 94 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I've seen more than one HK thread where fans confirmed that when HK recommends a break in period, they mean it. With NATO level ammo. Just sayin'. Prolly similar test fire protocols. FWIW I've had such great luck with modern pistols that 200-500 for initial shakedown confirmation makes me content it's GTG.
    I have 2 p30s and have never used any special ammo for break in. Both 115gr since day one and not a single issue. Maybe if you use super weak ammo, it might be possible, but again no issue with 2 brand new P30s.

Quick question for the hive. Is the reset distance on a P30 the same between V1 and V3?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    Quick question for the hive. Is the reset distance on a P30 the same between V1 and V3?
    Essentially.

Quote Originally Posted by BoppaBear View Post
    To me, the resets are similar. The main difference between V3 and LEM are the trigger mechanisms themselves, which make the triggers feel much different.

It looks like HK is offering V1s from the factory again. For a while, it seemed like the only way to get V1 was to convert a V2 (or use aftermarket kit to convert a V3).

Of the first 5000 rounds through my P30, all but probably 300 were 115gr FMJ. I didn't run any self defense ammo or anything other than 115gr until probably 1500 rounds. No issues.

The P30 is only offered in V1 or V3, the V2 is now a special order SKU. IMO, this is one of the smarter moves HK has made, it saves the hassle(s) associated of obtaining parts and fussing with the TRS replacement. I was a "die hard" V3 user until a few months ago, I have since embraced the V1.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    The P30 is only offered in V1 or V3, the V2 is now a special order SKU. IMO, this is one of the smarter moves HK has made, it saves the hassle(s) associated of obtaining parts and fussing with the TRS replacement. I was a "die hard" V3 user until a few months ago, I have since embraced the V1.
    Just jumped on the V1 after being a V3 guy for the last 2-3 years. It's a bit of a learning curve, but I'm looking to swap my last V3 out soon fur a V1.

Perhaps another thread, but how has the transition been for you? I was very used to that long and heavy DA pull and I'm just starting to get used to it at 250 rds, but I'm gonna need another 1,000.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    First of all, it's great to see Ernest Langdon here. His body of work in defensive firearms training speaks for itself and I hope we see lots of input here from him.

As Nyeti's business and training partner, I've come to be astounded by the P30 and its reliability and accuracy. The aforementioned features that enable threat management at a higher level than the striker guns become apparent the more you work with them. After enduring extraction related problems with several Glocks and later being one of Randy Lee's beta testers for his Glock extractor, I started testing other popular service pistol's extraction function with a more critical and discerning eye. It was not an encouraging journey. Most of the popular polymer service guns display varying levels of unsatisfactory extractor function. Most of these guns eject by use of the feed stack in the magazine due to that poor extractor function, which results in fired cases being presented to ejectors in varying attitudes or in bad cases, not being held by the extractor at all when it's time for ejection to take place. The P30 is an extreme exception to this poor paradigm.

In some serious testing that we did on P30 extractor function we found what all service pistols should be providing: consistent, excellent (and I should say perfect) function. In one test segment, we did 75 consecutive test shots with no failures and consistent ejection to the same spot. The test is conducted with a loaded chamber and no magazine on board. The shot is fired and the extraction/ejection performance is noted. The fired case should eject OUTSIDE the pistol and to a relatively consistent location. They should NOT eject down the magazine well or trap between the breech face and barrel hood. That's what should happen. The fact is that most of the popular polymer guns don't do this and are in fact running on the ragged edge with regard to extractor/ejector function. Go and try your favorite one out and see what you experience. It's not confidence inspiring.

Despite the price, the P30 set up with a LEM trigger seems to be about as good as it gets in today's service pistol market.
    Superb info. I have a few theories on this.I believe it is partly a result of sloppy breechface tolerances and stamped ejectors that aren't always in the proper spot.

I haven't done nearly as much research on this but my experience is similar even with mass produced 1911 pistols.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
    ... sloppy breechface tolerances ...
    Now THAT is something intersting to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    The V2 has the desirable TRS if you want to convert to the V4 TLG setup. It is much easier to change the FPB Spring and the Hammer Spring. Not that either can't be converted, but I am not sure why they would eliminate a variant.

User Tag List