Page 12 of 94 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post

Thanks for the PDF Link.

I have a P30 Lem on the way, and it should be here by Friday... Pretty amped up about trying the LEM after not being super impressed with the trigger on the P30 DA/SA version I rented or my recently sold USP.

I have shot the P30 a few times and followed the P30 endurance test,and no doubt its an amazing gun,ergernomically, reliable etc. However,in my case i just cant afford it..The difference at my local stores between the Glocks S&W's and the Hk pricing is ammo,range fees, holster and training money.I dont buy into the whole perfection Glock claims, but for the average working man the difference in price is often significant.If my financial situation was better,no doubt id probably be running the P30. But for the next few years,il have to stick with what i have.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Your analogy isn't applicable. A Yugo has never proven to be of acceptable quality.

Why would I spend $600 on an M&P when I can buy them for $450? Both of mine are tack drivers.

I can buy Glocks for $425 new or less as trade-ins.

Again, I'm not knocking the P30, and I would like to have one, but for my personal situation, I can't justify spending the money.

I really don't get that last line as you know what I do for a living. I guess I really don't need need a quality firearm. Maybe it's because I only shot 5k rounds last year and thus must not be worthy of anything nicer.
    Don't sugar coat it, tell it like it is. I agree with you. For me it is Glocks and M&Ps. My Gen 4 Glocks (17, 19, & 26) are so reliable it is boring. Same with the M&P9 Pro Series and M&P9c. I am not about to start over with a new platform. I do carry concealed as a retired LEO and I would not carry any pistol I did not expect to work if I needed it.

I have a HKP2000. Got it from CDNN years ago for $650 which was a lot of money then. I like it, but wouldn't pay for what HK wants for a new one now or what they want for a P30. Just not worth the money on retirement pay.

One factor of cost has not been mentioned: ammo to shoot the weapon to do a 2000 ( or what ever # makes you confident) round test.
    If a Glock or M&P etc... is more likely to be a bad example, how do you factor this ammo cost in ? Every time you try to trouble shoot and fix the problem and test the pistol you are burning ammo.
    Ammo cost would quickly eat the $ saving between a $500 pistol and a $1000 pistol. The more times you have to test it the worse it gets.
    A pistol that is more likely to be reliable might be on average cheaper.

I have carried and shot Glock 9mm (GL17, GL19) and .45 (GL30 , GL21) for 23 years. I like them and have known tested pistols.
    However-
    If I was starting cold today the P2000, P30, HK45 series would be a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    One factor of cost has not been mentioned: ammo to shoot the weapon to do a 2000 ( or what ever # makes you confident) round test.
    If a Glock or M&P etc... is more likely to be a bad example, how do you factor this ammo cost in ? Every time you try to trouble shoot and fix the problem and test the pistol you are burning ammo.
    Ammo cost would quickly eat the $ saving between a $500 pistol and a $1000 pistol. The more times you have to test it the worse it gets.
    A pistol that is more likely to be reliable might be on average cheaper.

I have carried and shot Glock 9mm (GL17, GL19) and .45 (GL30 , GL21) for 23 years. I like them and have known tested pistols.
    However-
    If I was starting cold today the P2000, P30, HK45 series would be a thought.
    I've seen more than one HK thread where fans confirmed that when HK recommends a break in period, they mean it. With NATO level ammo. Just sayin'. Prolly similar test fire protocols. FWIW I've had such great luck with modern pistols that 200-500 for initial shakedown confirmation makes me content it's GTG.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I've seen more than one HK thread where fans confirmed that when HK recommends a break in period, they mean it. With NATO level ammo. Just sayin'. Prolly similar test fire protocols. FWIW I've had such great luck with modern pistols that 200-500 for initial shakedown confirmation makes me content it's GTG.

All I did (good or bad) was lock the slide back on my P30L the night before the first three range sessions. I didn't have any NATO ammo so I just used a combination of UMC & WWB in 115gr & 124gr. Never had any issues. Sample of one and all that I'm sure.

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    All I did (good or bad) was lock the slide back on my P30L the night before the first three range sessions. I didn't have any NATO ammo so I just used a combination of UMC & WWB in 115gr & 124gr. Never had any issues. Sample of one and all that I'm sure.

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.
    I would expect most would be along that pattern you saw. I don't see why any modern design should really need a break in. None of our plastics ever did.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

My P2000 V3 has 3500 rounds with no malfunctions and required no break in. After the initial cleaning I fired 115gr AE FMJ and several different JHPs( including some 20+ year old ammo). I went 500 rounds without cleaning as a test with no problems. The P30 has been known to require Nato ammo for the first 200 rounds or the slide lock method listed above. The recoil springs on these pistols are rated at 20,000 rounds so they are pretty tough. I live in an area where getting a permit to purchase a pistol is VERY difficult, so my choice for the ONE firearm I own was HK.

User Tag List