Page 46 of 94 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

Quote Originally Posted by ncrockclimb View Post
    So... I really like my v2 p2k. I know it is a little heavy, but it works for me. I JUST purchased an lem light p-30, and intend to shoot it for a bit. However I am 90% sure I will convert it to V2.

I looked on HK pro, but there is a lot of conflicting information there. Can someone please provide me with info on the spring or Springs I will need to convert a light LEM P30 to have the same (or very close) trigger pull as my v2 P2000.

To go from V1 to V2 you will need the heavy Trigger Rebound spring and heavy Firing pin block spring. If I were you I would use the heavy TRS and light FBS, that is what is in my carry gun (P2000). http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-refere...-variants.html

My friend is trying to decide between the H&K P30 v3 9mm or the Beretta 92FS (plus G conversion, plus steel trigger, plus D spring, plus wood grips.) It will probably be his one and only gun purchase for quite some time. I'm trying to help him weigh the pros and cons between the two. His hands are on the thicker and bigger side than mine.

So far I have...
    Cost: Beretta 92... slightly maybe? addons make it closer to base cost of the P30. magazines are cheaper though.
    Size: Beretta 92 so far. I'm going to large all around the P30 for him to try out.
    Recoil: Beretta 92 because it's heavier.
    Longevity: tie. He'll probably never shoot it enough to break either one.
    Maintenance: P30. Overall I doubt he'll even get to the 25k round mark for first service interval. He *might* get to the 5,000 rnd mark in a couple years though.
    Accessories: tie. P30 I can add night sights. 92 has a ton of grips to customize fit for him more so than the P30. Holster choices are even.

I could *possibly* see him picking up the M9-22 as well as he's expressed interest in a .22LR hand gun, so they might be another point in the 92's favor.

It seems like the answer really has to fall into, which one he likes shooting more.

Obviously i'm a P30 kool-aid drinker extraordinaire, but I want him to get the right gun for him, so if anyone has any thoughts, fire away.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    My friend is trying to decide between the H&K P30 v3 9mm or the Beretta 92FS ...
    Since we have all this current data on the PX4, maybe he'd like to consider it instead of the 92FS, as it would possibly better compare to the P30, as both are poly-guns and are closer in size and weight.

I wouldn't go anywhere near a stock DA/SA P30, especially for a new shooter. That's going to be nothing but frustration. A Beretta with a D spring or a Langdon trigger job is another league, whether it be aluminum or plastic framed.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I wouldn't go anywhere near a stock DA/SA P30, especially for a new shooter. That's going to be nothing but frustration. A Beretta with a D spring or a Langdon trigger job is another league, whether it be aluminum or plastic framed.
    Yeah I don't think that's a fair apples to apples comparison. Maybe the BCL mods to the P30 would put the 2 guns on a more equal playing field?

I wouldn't near a stock P30 or 92.

At least swap out the mainsprings. That'll make a pretty big difference in both guns, and it's easy to do.

A 12 or even a 10 lb hammer spring, and the light FPBS make a pretty big difference. Not as nice as a slicked up 92, but plenty shootable.

Hammertime
    My friend is trying to decide between the H&K P30 v3 9mm or the Beretta 92FS (plus G conversion, plus steel trigger, plus D spring, plus wood grips.) It will probably be his one and only gun purchase for quite some time. I'm trying to help him weigh the pros and cons between the two. His hands are on the thicker and bigger side than mine.

So far I have...
    Cost: Beretta 92... slightly maybe? addons make it closer to base cost of the P30. magazines are cheaper though.
    Size: Beretta 92 so far. I'm going to large all around the P30 for him to try out.
    Recoil: Beretta 92 because it's heavier.
    Longevity: tie. He'll probably never shoot it enough to break either one.
    Maintenance: P30. Overall I doubt he'll even get to the 25k round mark for first service interval. He *might* get to the 5,000 rnd mark in a couple years though.
    Accessories: tie. P30 I can add night sights. 92 has a ton of grips to customize fit for him more so than the P30. Holster choices are even.

I could *possibly* see him picking up the M9-22 as well as he's expressed interest in a .22LR hand gun, so they might be another point in the 92's favor.

It seems like the answer really has to fall into, which one he likes shooting more.

Obviously i'm a P30 kool-aid drinker extraordinaire, but I want him to get the right gun for him, so if anyone has any thoughts, fire away.
    92 is easier to conceal.
    92 is heavier.
    92 mags cheaper and more abundant.
    92 sights more abundant
    92 I would think more abundant
    Reliability, durability I would think a tie until really high round counts.

Am I seriously the only one around here who did NOT have a massive problem learning to shoot TDA on the P30, and right out of the box? I'm not saying I was shooting the ass of a gnat at 25 yards immediately, but with practice I was at least competent with the DA pull as well as the transition.

I'm planning on taking him to one of the Big Box gun stores before the final decision, so he can paw over a bunch of other choices, but I'm not so sure a PX4 will be his taste. Like I said, he has big hands.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Am I seriously the only one around here who did NOT have a massive problem learning to shoot TDA on the P30, and right out of the box? I'm not saying I was shooting the ass of a gnat at 25 yards immediately, but with practice I was at least competent with the DA pull as well as the transition.

I'm planning on taking him to one of the Big Box gun stores before the final decision, so he can paw over a bunch of other choices, but I'm not so sure a PX4 will be his taste. Like I said, he has big hands.
    I’m a big TDA fan and I still have issues with trigger control discipline sometimes when shooting my TDA P30s. And mine have lighter mainsprings, lighter firing pin block springs and nickel plated sear springs. Slicked up 92s/PX4s they are not.

Personally, I’d buy a PX4 Carry from LTT and call it good. Run the large backstrap and he shouldn’t have any issues. Next would be a 92 with some spring changes (and also sight changes, grip panel changes, G conversion, etc). Last would be the P30. I didn’t start appreciating and liking my TDA P30s until I had spent a lot of time behind my TDA Beretta’s. Once I became a decent TDA shooter then I started shooting and carrying my P30s more.
    Shoot more, post less...

Hufnagel

Honestly of course your buddy will be the deciding factor but honestly the p30 is a perfectly reliable, durable, and accurate gun that nothing has to be done with it except decent sights. If your buddy is not a enthusiast then I think you cannot go wrong with a p30.

I think things get blown out of proportion on the Internet forums about shoot ability,triggers and such.

It does not sound like your buddy is going to be training and practicing regularly with it, but if he were He literally would not have to think about the “gun” aspect and just focus on building his skill set.

Many people on p-f have enjoyed a resurgence in berettas and seem to be messing with hem a lot. Great guns but seem to appeal to the enthusiasts.

User Tag List