Page 75 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

Site Supporter
    Well, that was easy. Just replaced the light TRS in my P30 with the heavy TRS. Just went slow and followed the directions I laid out earlier. It took about 10 minutes. The only thing that took a little time to figure out was the fact that you need to push down on the TRS with some force to compress it a bit so it lines up with the trigger pin. Then getting the trigger pin back thru took a little time. Just went slow and it was all good. The heavy TRS makes a *big* difference in the trigger pull characteristics to me. I'm looking forward to trying it out on the range.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris17404; 12-20-2019 at 04:36 PM.

My only problem I have with my px4 cc is I just cannot get over the fact of how short the sight radius is and barrel for a pistol of its size. I love pretty much everything else about it. I'm sure a red dot would cure the sight radius woes I have with the pistol out past 10 yards or so. I find it rather hard to keep tight groups out past not much more than 10 yards, where as other pistols the same size I can shoot well out to 20-25 yards with. This is all to do with me of course and not necessarily a px4c.

I have always been curious about a p-07 though. I have never been able to shoot one yet. I remember I checked out an old duty model and wasn't too crazy about it. But I know they have improved since then.

This whole slab sided grips theory is very fascinating to me. I have found I shoot pistols that aren't known for ergos rather well, and get a more consistent grip on the draw.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    Is there a simple way to remove the existing sear spring from a P30? I tried pushing up and in from inside the magazine well with a small screwdriver as one youtube video suggested. I couldn't confirm that I even pushed in the tab on the spring. Tried with my HK45C with same result.
    Maybe most important question for me, does the nickel plated sear spring replacement do anything but reduce the grittiness felt during trigger pull?
    There's a little tab that locks it into the frame. You need to push on that tab to disengage it from the frame, while simultaneously pushing upward on the spring to get the tab past the corner it locks onto. Once the tab passes the corner, you can just push the spring and it will come out.

The nickel spring is flatter, so it applies less tension to the sear and catch. It is also properly deburred. I've swapped two of them in USPs so far, and the non-nickel sear springs I took out have both had the full burr from stamping still present. The burr is on the side that rubs against the sear and catch, so it's adding friction/grittiness in addition to its spring resistance. That by itself is a good enough reason IMO to prefer the nickel spring. The fact that it reduces a little bit of stacking while remaining fully factory validated for safety is all good. Apparently, there was also at least one agency that had the non-plated spring rust, which was solved by the nickel spring.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    My only problem I have with my px4 cc is I just cannot get over the fact of how short the sight radius is and barrel for a pistol of its size. I love pretty much everything else about it. I'm sure a red dot would cure the sight radius woes I have with the pistol out past 10 yards or so. I find it rather hard to keep tight groups out past not much more than 10 yards, where as other pistols the same size I can shoot well out to 20-25 yards with. This is all to do with me of course and not necessarily a px4c.
    At least for me, the dot does help.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    At least for me, the dot does help.
    I think it's about time I try out the dot life. Have you ever been able to shoot a full size px4 before? That would solve all of my mental issues I have going on with the px4c. I am not sure how easy I could conceal the grip but I don't lose much sleep printing a little.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    I think it's about time I try out the dot life. Have you ever been able to shoot a full size px4 before? That would solve all of my mental issues I have going on with the px4c. I am not sure how easy I could conceal the grip but I don't lose much sleep printing a little.
    For reference, the full size PX4 is the same height as P30 and Glock 17. It's arguably easier to conceal than either due to it's more rounded profile. The downside is you get the Glock 19's 5.5" sight radius instead of the Glock 17's 6" sight radius.

I own a full size PX4 with all the basic LTT Carry model upgrades, but didn't shoot it much. I bought it about the time I was transitioning to the dot and LTT hadn't released the RDS mount yet. Like the P30 and P-09, it's a perfectly serviceable full size handgun.

(Of the listed options and ASSuming they all fit you equally) If concealed carry is a significantly greater priority than competition, I think the P30/P30SK or PX4/PX4C makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, if competition for the sake of competition is a weighs heavily in your decision, I think the P-09/P-07 or Beretta 92/PX4C combo makes a lot of sense. My nod goes to the CZ if you're interested in running a dot and Carry Optics.

Hope the answer to your question is somewhere buried in that mumbo jumbo. Let me know if it's not.

Cheers,
    David S.

A couple years back, I painstakingly evaluated the G19 vs P30 vs PX4CC for AIWB defensive carry. I found the PX4 to be superior in almost all aspects of shooting, but unfortunately found it to be the least concealable and least comfortable to carry. I actually went into my testing biased toward the PX4, hoping it would come out on top. It's a great gun to begin with, and with the Langdon mods it's over the top. But for AIWB carry it's a bit too chunky at the beltline for me. In contrast, the P30 carries very well, I think because the grip is more contoured and the slide more tapered. I'd say the PX4 has 5-10% more cross sectional volume than the P30 at the beltine. Doesn't seem like much on paper, but there is a big difference in feel/comfort for me. I ended up choosing the P30, and have carried it for the last couple of years. I got rid of my PX4CC, but did keep the full size version, which I enjoy shooting every once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    A couple years back, I painstakingly evaluated the G19 vs P30 vs PX4CC for AIWB defensive carry. I found the PX4 to be superior in almost all aspects of shooting, but unfortunately found it to be the least concealable and least comfortable to carry. I actually went into my testing biased toward the PX4, hoping it would come out on top. It's a great gun to begin with, and with the Langdon mods it's over the top. But for AIWB carry it's a bit too chunky at the beltline for me. In contrast, the P30 carries very well, I think because the grip is more contoured and the slide more tapered. I'd say the PX4 has 5-10% more cross sectional volume than the P30 at the beltine. Doesn't seem like much on paper, but there is a big difference in feel/comfort for me. I ended up choosing the P30, and have carried it for the last couple of years. I got rid of my PX4CC, but did keep the full size version, which I enjoy shooting every once in awhile.
    I noticed the same thing after trying several holsters. The rounded off slide does conceal better than a g19 for me but the grip actually sticks out a little more than a g19. I feel more pressure at the muzzle end too since it seems like a lot of the weight is at the muzzle. I also noticed that the muzzle end is about as wide as my g19 with a xc1 light on it.l

My p2000 feels like a smaller gun than both aiwb and the weight difference to me is noticeable after a few hours carrying a px4cc. I can't really tell much difference at all in weight between a p2000 and g19 carrying them. That is why I have a hard time justifying a px4cc to carry given the overall size and weight compared to other pistols in the same class. And I think most of the felt weight difference is in the mass of the slide. Just feels like a thicker gun even though it probably isn't that much difference on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Considering this thread was started by Ernest Langdon and you have experience with the P30 and PX4 could you comment on pros and cons of each and if you have comments on why you now shoot the PX4 and P-07 and why your wife prefers the P30 over those options?
    I still think the P30 is a great gun and still own a couple.

Here is why I like the PX4 better.

1. I can get parts for the PX4 really easily from several different places.
    2. I shoot the PX4 better than the P30.
    3. There are more parts options for the PX4.

I do not own a P-07, but it seems to be a solid gun. I have shot the PX4 Compact side by side with the P-07 and I think the PX4 is softer, flatter and easier to shoot.

My wife does love her P30SK, but she shoots the PX4 Compact much better and that has been her main carry gun for years now. Although she is really liking the XD-E as of late. It is a little bit thinner and that makes a big difference for her sometimes.

The PX4 Compact Carry is still my choice for daily carry right now.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

I hate to see a good thread get lost in time. For those of you still running the P30 LEM versus getting caught up in the VP9 craze did you wind up adding the short reset kit? Is it worth the difference or do you think it was just a marginal improvement?

User Tag List