Page 76 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

Quote Originally Posted by fpnunes View Post
    I hate to see a good thread get lost in time. For those of you still running the P30 LEM versus getting caught up in the VP9 craze did you wind up adding the short reset kit? Is it worth the difference or do you think it was just a marginal improvement?
    While I am mostly on the 1911 train because I have ingredients to make food for it, I just installed the grayguns kit in both my p30 and p30sk two days ago. While I haven't shot either and it may be a few weeks before I get a chance to, they feel almost as good as my lazy wolf reduced reset package on my P30L from years ago. I think it is definitely worth the money and really negates the need for the extra expense of shipping and having the gun worked over. Just my $0.02.

I have shot and carried the P30 LEM V1 since about 2013.

I am transitioning to the USP45, USP 9mm with LEM/Match hybrid trigger. I like these USPs better than the P30 LEM V1 because:

More rectangular grip fits my XL hands better and locks in and resists twisting better.
    I shoot them better even with much less experience with them.
    Better accuracy, same times in 9mm, .45 slightly slower. I am slightly more accurate with the USP45.

Read GJM and DB on HK USP LEM / Match hybrid.

At one Tac-Con, I shot the PX4s that Mr. Langdon had there, very impressive and easy to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by fpnunes View Post
    I hate to see a good thread get lost in time. For those of you still running the P30 LEM versus getting caught up in the VP9 craze did you wind up adding the short reset kit? Is it worth the difference or do you think it was just a marginal improvement?
    I think I'm only at ~2yrs carrying a P30 LEM, but I've lost track of time at this point. I've added the GGI short reset kit to mine. For me, being a Glock shooter for a decent amount of time and used to short resets, the GGI kit eliminated with my issue in short stroking the reset. In terms of "worth", I think it's a matter of what trigger characteristics you're used to, prefer, and have significant repetition with.

Oh, I also have a VP9, now a P2000, and hopefully soon a USP9C. This particular H&K magazine family is a self-propagating virus that will demand your acquisition of all models it supports. You've been warned! jk
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I think I'm only at ~2yrs carrying a P30 LEM, but I've lost track of time at this point. I've added the GGI short reset kit to mine. For me, being a Glock shooter for a decent amount of time and used to short resets, the GGI kit eliminated with my issue in short stroking the reset. In terms of "worth", I think it's a matter of what trigger characteristics you're used to, prefer, and have significant repetition with.

Oh, I also have a VP9, now a P2000, and hopefully soon a USP9C. This particular H&K magazine family is a self-propagating virus that will demand your acquisition of all models it supports. You've been warned! jk
    To late, I've been collecting, selling and then replacing an HK collection for over two decades. HK hates us and we love them more for it

Thanks for the replies guys. I've never short stroked a P30 LEM trigger but starting to think it would be nice to reduce my shot to shot times (or I will when I can practice with more than a 100 rounds ever other week!).

Site Supporter
    I figure I'll dump into this thread instead of the P30 revisited one - this is the most recently updated, and larger of the two I found on here (the other one https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-P30-Revisited )

When 2020 happened I was working at a gun store that was cased, with multiple break in attempts, and rolled with a shorty/light 5.56 combo on the passenger seat during my commute to and from. I quickly questioned the sanity of a 1911 early on when the news showed city streets blockaded, fires happening, and chase vehicles going after any car that broke the blockade. I dismissed a 2011 due to pricing, and landed on a VP9 over the PPQ because I wouldn't loose my rear sight if I went with an optic (PDP addressed that). After the purchase I took out the P30 from the rental case to see if I could quantify adding a P30 in addition to the VP9, and couldn't tell much of a difference in recoil to justify the price gap between the VP9 and the P30. I put the P30 away and didn't think much of it.

I grabbed a B92 and did the usual upgrades to it, because I've found that shooting TDA tends to make ALL of my other shooting easier. But, I unloaded my B92 w EL's trigger job in a bag after talking with a friend for a long time about TDA guns, and they pointed out that a likely reason I DON'T carry the B92 often is my lack of holster options. And that with my plethora of VP9 mags I might be better served with a P30.

That jerk. I found a P30 for $560 after shipping and transfer a couple weeks back, and find myself going for it more than the VP9's.

Anyway, after LTT's TJB setup, I sent out a VP9 to Grey guns, and have had the itch for the custom touch on pretty much everything else. I contacted Grey Guns about the work they do on the P30, and essentially they NP3 coat the internals and install their short reset kit, with them expressly stating that any reduction in trigger pull would be from the reduced friction in the gun. I stripped the P30 down, looked up the parts diagrams, and dug in a little bit. I then polished the sides of the fire control group that rub against each other (holding the gun vertical, the left and right sides of the catch, sear, etc.) to a mirror shine, and the hammer strut treated the same. I ordered and installed the Grey Guns short reset into the P30, and put it all back together and just smiled at it.

Basically, take a B92 with a spring slightly lighter than a D spring - and that's what you get, but in a P30 platform. The trigger is NOTHING like a LTT TJB setup, but it is MILES ahead of the factory. Double action pull is 8lb 3oz average, single action is 3lb 11oz average, with the factory hammer spring. Putting in the 11 pound spring would put this gun into the cheating territory. Reset is just about what I remember a factory Beretta 92 being with the Grey guns kit, which does include a reduced power firing pin block spring.

After loading the 18 or so mags I did some dot torture in 10*F weather without gloves or hand warmers, starting with the P30, then a stock VP9 with factory irons, then the Grey Guns VP9 with a 509T. The targets are not that different from each other, but the effort required for a dot equipped tricked VP9 was just...easy button. I still prefer the TDA guns given all the reasons previously discussed on this forum (thumbed hammer, springs at rest, "are you sure" first shot), and the P30 rides in a Dark Star gear holster converted to fixed retention and the sweat guard cut off.

I have every intention of getting a LEM setup in the 4.1 configuration for doing some local classes, as it should help bridge the gap between "NOW" trigger smashing and "use the figgin sights" without the weight of a true TDA setup.

So yeah, I think the P30 V3 is still relevant given the Volkspistol VP9, the PDP, and the rush to have "light switch on/off" triggers the common gun buyer is lusting after these days. And I think the 4.1 is going to have a huge benefit as a demo pistol - along my personal shooting by helping to make sure that I let the sights run the show, not my trigger finger. The LEM is so unlike any other trigger setup I've ever used from a speed perspective, but I do recall pretty much stacking rounds onto of each other without much effort in the past on a P2000.

Current P30 setup:
    factory hammer spring
    Polished finish on all vertical serfaces in the fire control group (recesses and pin holes left alone)
    Polished vertical surfaces that rub on the sear spring
    Nickel coated sear spring
    Grey Guns short reset kit (with lightened firing pin block spring)
    Black nail polish over the dots on the rear sight
    Double action pull is 8lb 3oz average, single action is 3lb 11oz average

The gun looks completely stock from the outside, but it doesn't run like the trigger-muchny super long travel I was expecting at the start of this journey. Reset is still positive. And it runs with all the VP9 mags I have, and has holster comparability with the Dark Star Gear offering.
    Last edited by jeep45238; 01-31-2022 at 07:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I figure I'll dump into this thread instead of the P30 registered one - this is the most recently updated, and larger of the two I found on here (the other one https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-P30-Revisited )

The small gun world- we're friends on Facebook. If and when HK produces an optics ready P30, I'll buy and carry one. I know Wright Armory and others have more and more milling options, but I like when things don't take months and hundreds of dollars of work out of the box to be what I want.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    The small gun world- we're friends on Facebook. If and when HK produces an optics ready P30, I'll buy and carry one. I know Wright Armory and others have more and more milling options, but I like when things don't take months and hundreds of dollars of work out of the box to be what I want.
    I kinda thought so. We should ping Marcus for a bit of tech nerdy range time, I'm less than 2 miles from him. I don't think the demand is there so much for the P30 to run with an optic, but if they rotated the firing pin retaining pin 90* and ran a shorter extractor roll pin it might be doable for a factory option. I don't think that'll happen.

Rumor has it that Langdon will be coming back to the fold:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelshund Tactical
    Yes, I spoke with Ernie the other day. He's working to offer a similar set of offerings as we have seen with the Beretta pistols, focusing on the P30 series.
    Source: https://www.hkpro.com/threads/langdo.../#post-3949147

I've got Glocks and 1911s, I don't need to even think about any other designs.

Buuuuttt.....A smart set of Optics options on USPs.....
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Rumor has it that Langdon will be coming back to the fold:
    Source: https://www.hkpro.com/threads/langdo.../#post-3949147
    Name:  ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.JPG
Views: 706
Size:  50.0 KB

User Tag List