Page 80 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

That would be the P30LS. Here’s one in .40 S&W:

Name:  E9816393-54F0-4600-BB50-CDAC3A95B792.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  66.9 KB
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I sent a short slide stop to another member but it appears his P30 came from the factory with one. The P30L in the preceding post also has a short slide stop in a shorter recess on the frame. How did I miss this and when did this change come around?
    Shown is one of my P30s with a short SS installed and a stock SS below it.
    Name:  IMG_6466_kindlephoto-6214254.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  68.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I sent a short slide stop to another member but it appears his P30 came from the factory with one. The P30L in the preceding post also has a short slide stop in a shorter recess on the frame. How did I miss this and when did this change come around?
    Shown is one of my P30s with a short SS installed and a stock SS below it.
    Name:  IMG_6466_kindlephoto-6214254.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  68.1 KB
    I can't say I'm aware of any changes to the P30 or P30L, but for the previously posted P30LS, those come from the factory with the shorter slide release, as do the P30S, as they have the safety that would probably interfere with the normal length slide release.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I can't say I'm aware of any changes to the P30 or P30L, but for the previously posted P30LS, those come from the factory with the shorter slide release, as do the P30S, as they have the safety that would probably interfere with the normal length slide release.
    That's it! His is a safety model, so you've cracked it for me. Thanks for the lesson.

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    That's it! His is a safety model, so you've cracked it for me. Thanks for the lesson.

Finally made it to the range.

The double action / single action was different from what I normally shoot. The flyers were the double action.

I fired over 200 rounds, not a single issue. The fit and feel of the pistol in the hand were nice.

I'm going to continue to shoot it, I'm on the fence about going LEM or just working more with the double action / single action. This is the only pistol I have that is da/sa.

More to follow...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    Finally made it to the range.

The double action / single action was different from what I normally shoot. The flyers were the double action.

I fired over 200 rounds, not a single issue. The fit and feel of the pistol in the hand were nice.

I'm going to continue to shoot it, I'm on the fence about going LEM or just working more with the double action / single action. This is the only pistol I have that is da/sa.

More to follow...

How do you like the safety compared to a 1911 or M&P?

I like the safety, 1911/2011 guy. It could be just a little thinner but I like having it.

The DA/SA is a different animal, especially the DA, something you have to think about but got better with time.

The safety itself is not in a perfect position like a 1911 or even an M&P, but it is also not a show stopper either.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How do you like the safety compared to a 1911 or M&P?

Since I am now carrying my P30 V3 about half the time (still my G17 the other half) I decided to collect some chronograph data from the P30 with my carry ammo. The G17 has always yielded good MV for any ammo, typically meeting or exceeding MV reported from manufacturer. Despite the P30 having over half inch shorter barrel (around 0.6") I was really surprised by the high MV from the P30. Next trip I'll run some other ammo types and the P30L as well. Since this is an all-copper projectile I'm not sure if it's an outlier result compared to more standard copper jacketed lead bullets. Regardless it's nice to see that with the P30 I'm not giving up much performance to the G17! Below were all 5 shot groups of data.

Underwood xtreme defender 90 gr +P (factory reported MV 1475 ft/s)

G17.4 - 4.48" barrel
    MV 1485
    ES 53
    SD 18

P30 V3 - 3.85" barrel
    MV 1480
    ES 46
    SD 16

CZ P07 - 3.75" barrel
    MV 1447
    ES 24
    SD 8
    Last edited by Squib308; 10-10-2022 at 08:02 AM.

Great post.
    Really curious to see what your p30L reads. Surprised at the difference between the g17 and p30.
    How do you carry your p30? What holster setup?
    Thanks

QUOTE=Squib308;1404055]Since I am now carrying my P30 V3 about half the time (still my G17 the other half) I decided to collect some chronograph data from the P30 with my carry ammo. The G17 has always yielded good MV for any ammo, typically meeting or exceeding MV reported from manufacturer. Despite the P30 having over half inch shorter barrel (around 0.6") I was really surprised by the high MV from the P30. Next trip I'll run some other ammo types and the P30L as well. Since this is an all-copper projectile I'm not sure if it's an outlier result compared to more standard copper jacketed lead bullets. Regardless it's nice to see that with the P30 I'm not giving up much performance to the G17! Below were all 5 shot groups of data.

Underwood xtreme defender 90 gr +P (factory reported MV 1475 ft/s)

G17.4 - 4.48" barrel
    MV 1485
    ES 53
    SD 18

P30 V3 - 3.85" barrel
    MV 1480
    ES 46
    SD 16

CZ P07 - 3.75" barrel
    MV 1447
    ES 24
    SD 8[/QUOTE]