Page 1 of 94 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

Smile Why the P30

For me the P30 seems to be the gun that I can really hang my hat on for now. It is very reliable, kind of scary reliable, and very accurate. The LEM trigger is the best of both worlds for me and I really like an external hammer on any gun that I carry AIWB. I now have three P30s and two of them are set up exactly the same way. The only thing I have done to either gun is put the TLG trigger set up in there and change the sights. I have taken the sharp edges off the back corner of the hammer on the gun I shoot the most, as it does tap my hand just a little every once in a while (I grip the gun very high and the extra skin in the webbing of my hand sometime builds up just enough to get in the path of the hammer).

This is the only gun I have shot this much that I did not feel like I needed to make several adjustment to in order to be happy with it.

I would like to have a higher capacity magazine for it, maybe a slightly shorter reset on the trigger, but neither of those things are deal breakers in any way what so ever. So it may very well be the best gun on the market right now.

Glocks are great guns, but they are striker fired guns, so I would need one of Todd's devices to even go down that road. Also, the frame needs lots of modifications to keep that trigger guard from eating my middle finger alive. I would also need some kind of add on beaver tail in order to not bleed when I shoot the gun.

M&Ps are also great guns. But like the Glock, striker fired and really a fully cocked striker for sure. I have a .40 and a .357 sig that are tack drivers and I shoot them really well. I have also cracked two barrels on the 9mm guns and cannot seem to get a 9mm to run 100% and still be accurate. It's is either failure to extract, failure to feed, or 10" groups at 25yards. I am sure it can be done, but I have also seen many people that say they have cracked the code only to have horrible failure to extract issues out of the blue.

1911s, love them and have more of them in the safe than any other single gun type. But I am a 9mm fan and one of the reasons I like 9mm is capacity. That is pretty much all I need to say about that I think. unless I am going to start carrying some kind of STI or SVI??? Plus I think my P30 recoils less than a full size 1911 9mm. I also like the trigger on the P30 better.

Beretta 92s. Still shoot that gun better than anything else. But they are heavy, big and lack any real options for sights. I also know that I cannot expect to put 90 or 100K through the gun without any major parts replacement like I expect our of my P30s. Even replacing all those major part it might just give up somewhere that makes it a paperweight. Plus, Beretta is another company the just refuses to listen to any of their customers about what they want. They want to stop making that gun so badly they just don't know what to do. But instead of doing what people want done to it, they keep putting little patches here and there and all their real efforts go into guns that no one wants.

Sigs Classics. Like the gun and shoot it well. But for the last say 6 or 8 years, you just don't know what your going to get from that company. I am sure TLG could give specifics on when it started, but once they started really trying to build the guns for less so the could compete on price point, weird things started to break on those guns.

I just don't see any other real options out there for me. So for now, I will stick to the P30 and just have fun shooting
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

We are diminished
    Embarrassingly this is the only video I have of Ernest shooting his P30, I think:

One thing I haven't seen yet is Ernest Langdon teaching a class with a P30. I'd love to see that...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    One thing I haven't seen yet is Ernest Langdon teaching a class with a P30. I'd love to see that...
    Coming soon I hope. If Scott would just get back to me an approve my dates???
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Editted to remove the congratulatory tone thinking it was a newish shooter that was sharing their process of choosing their pistol. [a pistol I've sampled lightly and found just "OK"].
    Last edited by JHC; 07-05-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    I'm in!

Site Supporter
    Glocks are great guns, but they are striker fired guns, so I would need one of Todd's devices to even go down that road.
    Todd has a Langdon barrel, just sayin...

Gen4 Glocks are now shipping with 4 backstraps-2 "normal" and 2 beavertail. Just sayin'.

Best, Jon

Glad to hear you'll be offering classes again. I learned a great deal in your Advanced Pistol course (AAR here) and look forward to repeating the experience.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

For me the P30 seems to be the gun that I can really hang my hat on for now. It is very reliable, kind of scary reliable, and very accurate. The LEM trigger is the best of both worlds for me and I really like an external hammer on any gun that I carry AIWB. I now have three P30s and two of them are set up exactly the same way. The only thing I have done to either gun is put the TLG trigger set up in there and change the sights. I have taken the sharp edges off the back corner of the hammer on the gun I shoot the most, as it does tap my hand just a little every once in a while (I grip the gun very high and the extra skin in the webbing of my hand sometime builds up just enough to get in the path of the hammer).
    What back strap and side panel size are you using, Ernest? Reason I am asking is this: I just pulled out mine from a holster, cleared it and I've been sitting wondering how it is possible to get your strong hand so high that you get a hammer bite? I can't even if I tried.

I second everyone on you getting back to teaching. I'd make a flight again in no time.

1911s, love them and have more of them in the safe than any other single gun type. But I am a 9mm fan and one of the reasons I like 9mm is capacity. That is pretty much all I need to say about that I think. unless I am going to start carrying some kind of STI or SVI???
    It's not that far fetched (my 17+1 9mm carry gun):

(You can go smaller in grip to get a more G19/P30 length, go without the RMR, or without a threaded barrel, of course)

User Tag List