Page 50 of 94 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

Okay finally got some serious trigger time behind the p30. Lem tgs. 10-8 sights.

Went down to Kentucky and visited my buddy and his private range. We spent a lot of time on a g19.5/g17.5/p30 tgs.

We each shot the g17.5 the worst. The g19.5 was typical g19.5 solid. That damn gun just works.

The p30 tgs though...man. That gun shoots. I was simply amazed at how well I did out of the hole with it. First mag at 7 yards was nothing. We shot hundreds of rounds each. We both shot the gun the best throughout the day. And after doing a lot of different speed runs. The speed between shots kept increasing. One thing we noticed was the p30 held the greatest groups with speed once the lem reset was somewhat mastered.

He was really iffy on the p30 and basically said he would try it. Well he shot it better then me at speed and was blown away. Just amazed at how shootable it is. We both agreed with 1000 rounds through it we would be unstoppable. Sad part for him is I am taking her home!

I do not have many pics sorry. We also dialed in my ar at range. 385 yards steel is pretty damn fun with red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you guys finding is most accurate range ammo? I just discovered my Blazer Brass 124 hits high and right with a significantly wider spread than my carry ammo. I can pretty reliably hit (8 out of 10 shots) 8" steel at 25 yards with my HST. 50yards isn't much worse. Blazer is only 3 out of 10 at 25. I haven't quantified it any better than that.

I need to replace it with something more betterer. I'm thinking Federal AE9AP (124).
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    What are you guys finding is most accurate range ammo? I just discovered my Blazer Brass 124 hits high and right with a significantly wider spread than my carry ammo. I can pretty reliably hit (8 out of 10 shots) 8" steel at 25 yards with my HST. 50yards isn't much worse. Blazer is only 3 out of 10 at 25. I haven't quantified it any better than that.

I need to replace it with something more betterer. I'm thinking Federal AE9AP (124).
    If you use HST’s for carry, then I suggest using the corresponding grain weight in AE for practice. I’ve found that the 147 AE does a great job of replicating the recoil and POI of the 147 HST. The similarities between the 124+P HST and standard pressure AE will probably be less impressive.
    Last edited by Sensei; 03-19-2018 at 07:02 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    If you use HST’s for carry, then I suggest using the corresponding grain weight in AE for practice. I’ve found that the 147 AE does a great job of replicating the recoil and POI of the 147 HST. The similarities between the 124+P HST and standard pressure AE will probably be less impressive.
    I agree with this so much. I have moved to 147 AE/lawman for range and 147 hst for carry. The carry over is very very close. Also the p30 seemed to like the 147grn ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@GJM, @LangdonTactical, @Prdator, anyone else.

RE: The Quarter Panel Technique.

How do you apply the "quarter panel technique" work with rounded, ergonomic grips like my P30? Any thoughts on setting up grip panels to optimize this for a guy with large hands (XL glove size)? Because the P30 grip slopes back, instead of being rectangular-ish like a Glock, it seem like I can either get support hand meat behind the grip or I can get full firing hand contact under the tang, but not both.

Cheers,
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not going to try to list every technique and every drill from day one, but I am going to mention one concept that was brilliant and completely unknown to me. This is the “quarter panel” technique. Ken demos how you can place your hand flat on a table, push out, and your hand slides away from you. Repeat the same thing, but put the tiniest bit of your palm on the edge of the table, and it anchors you and prevents sliding. Not surprisingly, TPC has you place the tiniest bit of your support hand behind the grip of the pistol, to anchor your support hand. It takes some adjustment, but it is an incredibly effective part of their technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In order — some grip tape to enhance friction in the quarter panel, how much of my hand I get behind the grip, and what the full grip looks like.

Attachment 25042

Attachment 25043

Attachment 25044
    Last edited by David S.; 04-07-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    David S.

@GJM, @LangdonTactical, @Prdator, anyone else.

RE: The Quarter Panel Technique.

How do you apply the "quarter panel technique" work with rounded, ergonomic grips like my P30? Any thoughts on setting up grip panels to optimize this for a guy with large hands (XL glove size)? Because the P30 grip slopes back, instead of being rectangular-ish like a Glock, it seem like I can either get support hand meat behind the grip or I can get full firing hand contact under the tang, but not both.

Cheers,
    David S.
    So this ? caused me to go get a P30 our of the safe and look at this.. So, I'd look at putting a larger side panel on the L side of the gun, IF that does not impact greatly your non-Dominate hand shooting.
    Other than that, I'd look at a LLT, 92 thats coming out or the PX4CC. I find those two guns (92A1, PX4CC) allow me to get my grip really set into the gun and Its a BIG reason why I shoot them so well.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    So this ? caused me to go get a P30 our of the safe and look at this.. So, I'd look at putting a larger side panel on the L side of the gun, IF that does not impact greatly your non-Dominate hand shooting.
    Other than that, I'd look at a LLT, 92 thats coming out or the PX4CC. I find those two guns (92A1, PX4CC) allow me to get my grip really set into the gun and Its a BIG reason why I shoot them so well.
    Thanks Spenser.

I emailed the guys at TPC the same question. Ken Nelson was gracious enough to contact me back. He said "I’m always looking to have the backstop be the largest your hands can fit and still reach the trigger for a straight pull." I just put on the L backstrap and side panels. Initial dry practice seems positive, so we'll see what that does.

As tempting as a Langdon Beretta is, I just switched into H&K a year ago and I shoot the P30 well enough for my purposes that I can't justify another change.
    David S.

Thanks Spenser.

I emailed the guys at TPC the same question. Ken Nelson was gracious enough to contact me back. He said "I’m always looking to have the backstop be the largest your hands can fit and still reach the trigger for a straight pull." I just put on the L backstrap and side panels. Initial dry practice seems positive, so we'll see what that does.

As tempting as a Langdon Beretta is, I just switched into H&K a year ago and I shoot the P30 well enough for my purposes that I can't justify another change.
    The larger panel on your support side and L backstrap should help.

If you aren't using a similar technique, the Givens style of flagging your gun hand thumb up or wrapping over your support thumb should help you get a bit more meat behind the grip.

My hands are am odd size I think. They are L-XL but not very meaty in the digits. With the Givens type grip, I can get my support thumb/ heel area decently behind the gun with the M strap and L side panel for a P30. For some reason of hand mechanics, I need the L strap to shoot a VP9 just right, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had initially struggled with grip and panel selection when I first switched to HKs. I too went with L side panels to give that effect, but have since found that S panels on the sides and a more Bob Vogel type grip have more positive results. It’s a little trickier given the size of the p30 slide release, but I sink my support hand pretty far in (triggerguard hitting between base and middle knuckle on the support index finger, and counter-torquing each hand). I can be more aggressive with support hand cant with the VP9,but haven’t found dialing it back for a p30 to be a dramatic change.

https://instagram.com/p/BbbCEt9BKmL/
    Last edited by bpack325; 04-07-2018 at 09:13 PM.
    IDPA : A454752
    USPSA : TY91150

I checked a P30L a few days ago. It has medium pieces all around, and the quarter panel technique works fine. Perhaps put some skate board tape there to act as a reference and increase traction. I added tape to my PPQ/Q5 and P99 pistols. It doesn’t take much to make the quarter panel technique work.

I think of the HK pistols generally to be optimized for face shooting, Beretta pistols to do cross over face shooting and gaming, and pistols like the CZ Shadow to be oriented primarily to gaming.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List