Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do we like for a solvent?

What do we like for a solvent?

I've been using Breakthrough solvent to clean my P30 after finding the solvent at a local shop and giving it a try. However, I have noticed that my slide turns kind of a shade of gray when I apply it, and it loses that black luster that the slide usually has until I wipe it with a Hoppe's silicone cloth. I've no idea if it is harming the finish or not, but it kind of seems like it might over time.

Anyway, I'm looking for a replacement.

Hoppe's No. 9 is absolutely not happening. The smell and relative lack of cleaning power rules that out. I tried Hoppe's Elite a number of years ago and liked it, but I can't seem to find it any more.

I'd prefer something that is nontoxic. Maybe I should try Balistol? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I went to Ultrasonic cleaning about 15 years ago. A couple quarts of warm water and a splash of simple green concentrate does a great job. When finished, I use air to blow out all the cracks and crevices.

Lube as needed.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I've used M-Pro 7 for the past 15 years as a cleaning solvent. It doesn't stink and works well.

Nontoxic = Ballistol. The thing about Ballistol is that you should spray it on, and then go away for a while. Make a cup of coffee, read the news. Come back to find the carbon slough off. Blow it out with air and call it good, or add your preferred lube, or clean off with Isopropyl alcohol, then lube.

Simple Green will destroy several finishes over time, particularly anodize, so beware.

I, too, like Ballistol.

But I also hate cleaning firearms so the gallon of Slip 725 I bought in ‘15 or ‘16 is still going strong and is also non-toxic. A few sprays, let it soak while I sulk about cleaning, wipe, and done.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    I've used Breakfree CLP since the early 90s and have been pleased. I switched to WeaponShield for a while and liked it a lot. I've used Liberty Gun Lube some as well. I believe it is owned by a forum member, though I can't remember who.

Site Supporter
    FWIW Hoppe's Elite looks like it is still available at online retailers.

I can tell you what I don't like lol--Shooter Lube--the cleaner is just ok. Doesn't smell but you have to repeat treatment a few times with scrubbing to get off carbon. As an aside, their lube is too light and burns off quickly. They spend a lot on marketing and I was snagged...

Shooters Choice solvent for over 30 years. I’ve recently started using their CLP.

User Tag List