Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P229 DAO to SRT conversion

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Sig P229 DAO to SRT conversion

I just picked up a very nice condition Sig 229 police trade in. The only "issue" is that it is DAO. My understanding is that the P series is convertable to the different trigger mods. So assuming this is the case, what other than the SRT kit will I need to convert the gun over?

Fifth topic in Top Gun Supply's FAQ is on converting between SIG actions:

Parts to convert from DAO to DA/SA

Hammer
    Hammer Strut Pin (except P239 which is integral) *Note* Recently, #34280325 and #34280325N have been coming with the Hammer Strut Pin already installed
    Decocking Lever
    Decocking Lever Spring
    Decocking Lever Bearing
    IIRC, some guns came with proprietary DAO grips that do not have the cut out for the decocking lever.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 07-05-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Fifth topic in Top Gun Supply's FAQ is on converting between SIG actions:

IIRC, some guns came with proprietary DAO grips that do not have the cut out for the decocking lever.
    Thanks, I found that page as well. Like you mentioned, my gun seems to have a DAO only grip so I will have to add that to the list. Seems like the basic plan of attack will by to convert the pistol to DA/SA and then add the SRT kit as well. Called SIG about it and they quoted me $200 for the DA/SA conversion and then the regular $99 for the SRT installation as well.

So, for those of you with intimate SIG experience, is this something best left to professionals, or is this something a shade tree gunsmith like myself can do? I have good mechanical aptitude and have built a few ARs as well as detail stripped a M9 and would like the challenge, I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew. If this is something I can tackle, are there any special tools I should buy (other than typical gunsmithing punches). Would investing in a Sig P series gunsmithing DVD be advisable? Any hints?

If you have to buy new grips, I would look at the E2 grip conversion instead. I've used both and prefer the E2.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

With the admission that I have never done the procedure, it sounds to me like its just swapping parts and something that someone who is mechanically inclined could do. The two areas that I have had difficulty with are getting the hammer in correctly and squeezing in the trigger bar in with the SRT safety lever. Both of which are probably more due to my performing the operation on my desk at work using a multi-tool, paperclips and a dud 556 round for gunsmithing tools. FWIW, I like the DVD by Chrisses which is a close second to eavesdropping on Ernest Langdon showing a buddy how to detail strip a P-series after a class. There are also some pretty decent videos on Youtube.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

We are diminished
    It's merely parts-swapping. If you're comfortable disassembling your SIG and putting it back together, it won't be any harder than that. If you're not, you might want to find a certified armorer to do it for you.

All the parts came in today as well as the CW Weapons Armorer DVDs. I watched through the DVD and this is something I should be easily able to accomplish.

Quick question for those who have done the SRT conversion, do you recommend doing anything other than applying a film of lube the the sear and hammer before installation?

We are diminished
    A light taste of TW-25b or similar to all contact points is worthwhile. After 1-2k rounds, dissassemble, clean, and apply grease to the shiny areas.

Well after a couple hours spent in the garage tonight detail stripping the gun, cleaning and reassembling it, I have what appears to be a perfectly functioning DA/SA P229!

The only issue is that this has the magazine disconnect which sits next to the firing pin safety lever and interferes with the SRT sear.

Does anyone know the work around here?

From the looks of the mechanism, the disconnect works with the original safety lever so using a different safety lever should render the disconnect inop. So if I just remove the portion that moves against the safety lever and install the SRT safety it should work. Problem is I don't want to damage the disconnect since it is my only one and I can't find a source for them on the internet. Maybe a plastic shim?

I'll give Sig a call this week.

Of course that then opens up the can of worms surrounding disabling a "safety"

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Well after a couple hours spent in the garage tonight detail stripping the gun, cleaning and reassembling it, I have what appears to be a perfectly functioning DA/SA P229!

The only issue is that this has the magazine disconnect which sits next to the firing pin safety lever and interferes with the SRT sear.

Does anyone know the work around here?

From the looks of the mechanism, the disconnect works with the original safety lever so using a different safety lever should render the disconnect inop. So if I just remove the portion that moves against the safety lever and install the SRT safety it should work. Problem is I don't want to damage the disconnect since it is my only one and I can't find a source for them on the internet. Maybe a plastic shim?

I'll give Sig a call this week.

Of course that then opens up the can of worms surrounding disabling a "safety"
    How did this work out for you? What was your total investment in parts for the conversion?
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List