Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for SouthNarc re: J Frames & ECQC

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Question for SouthNarc re: J Frames & ECQC

Sorry to post a rather pointed question for an SME (all others are welcome to weigh in too) but I've noticed that the SouthNarc in particular has made specific mention of the J frame before. I am curious as to what you think the J frame does well in particular and what kind of niche you see it filling within the context of ECQC and self defense in general. Please note that while I haven't taken any of your classes (the last couple years have been tight with money and tighter with time) but it is definitely on my to-do list!

Please note I am not really trying to re-hash the "do you have enough gun" debate that seems to follow around threads about the J frame. I am mostly curious to hear what the J frame does well (or doesn't do well) in the context of the close, messy engagements that SouthNarc seems to have made a good training career preparing people for.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am mostly curious to hear what the J frame does well (or doesn't do well) in the context of the close, messy engagements that SouthNarc seems to have made a good training career preparing people for.
    Try and push a J-frame out of battery.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Nephrology no problem on asking a specific question of me. J frames....let's see...

I carried a 640 and 442 as an ankle gun in a uniform and carried the 442 ALOT when I was buying dope. Quite often just stuck in my pants and several times in a Thunderwear rig.

As far as J frames and ECQ stuff, if guys give me a heads-up before they come to class I can usually scrounge a box of 38 sims and let them run their J frames in evolutions. Hell I've probably had about ten guys over the past nine years run their J frame through the entire class as a primary.

What I've seen are that J frames are much harder to keep from running, as Sparks noted. That being said, I've seen it done more than once when someone got a really tight grip on the cylinder in an evo. Usually a two handed grip.

J frames are definitely more retainable and it's MUCH harder to get one out of someone's hand. There's just not as much leverage.

I've had some people say after taking the coursework that they wanted to get an 8 shot snubby and carry it appendix, after seeing so many guns go out of battery in evolutions. I think that's a bit much and I wouldn't do that, but it certainly does speak to the efficacy of a revolver when looking at the entangled problem.

Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    As far as J frames and ECQ stuff, if guys give me a heads-up before they come to class I can usually scrounge a box of 38 sims and let them run their J frames in evolutions. Hell I've probably had about ten guys over the past nine years run their J frame through the entire class as a primary.
    Challenge accepted... Albuquerque, November.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Challenge accepted... Albuquerque, November.
    Just remind me to bring 38 or I'll forget.

I've done it Jody. Just remember that during the live fire to wear a shirt you don't care about, because it WILL sport permanent burn marks. I ruined one of my favorite Hawaiian shirts that way....

And practice reloads A LOT beforehand. It seemed like half my energy was spent keeping the snub fed.

Good post OP!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Just remind me to bring 38 or I'll forget.
    How much of a heads up do you want before the september class? I'll send you a text.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Craig,

Any special considerations with firing a 1-7/8" barreled snub from the 3 position? Accuracy, safety, ect.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Craig,

Any special considerations with firing a 1-7/8" barreled snub from the 3 position? Accuracy, safety, ect.
    No other than if you're gonna' fire throughout the horizontal line of presentation as the gun is moving forward, be really careful about collecting the gun with the support hand behind the muzzle. There's not ANY margin for error there.

User Tag List