Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question concerning lasers for CCW

We are diminished
    If you've never done FOF and search/clear stuff with a laser, you may not have the whole picture.

One thing I really like about a modern laser/light combo (C5L) is I can utilize a strobing white light with no accuracy degradation due to the sharply focused laser.
    Great stuff.

double-Tapatalk
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Jody, what is the amount of mechanical offset on this laser? I spent some time messing with an X400, and basically found it useless because of the amount of mechanical offset, and the compromises in picking a zero point and what that meant to trajectory. I still don't get why Surefire put the laser below the light?

Looking at the laser options, without regard to what pistol they go on, is the consensus that the CT grips on the M&P are the "best" laser product now?

With my H&K P2000 and Viridian C5L the laser is approx. 1.5" offset from the center of the bore.
    I've found that a 25' zero works perfectly from 5-25 yards.
    All shots will be on a 1.5" target dot from 1 yard out to around 15 yards. After that they get progressively lower, but remember that the laser dot gets bigger as the distance increases so even at 25 yards the bullet impacts within the dot (the dot is around 3" diameter at 25 yards). Head shots at 25 yards on an IDPA target are still a matter of placing the dot on the head and making a good trigger press.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    From running the Armed Movement in Structures (AMIS) coursework I can tell you that what I see during the low light portion is that lasers and WMLs offer a decisive advantage in a low-light structure gunfight, when the technology is understood and used appropriately. My friend Claude Werner, who was the chief instructor at the Rogers Shooting school for 5+ years audited my coursework this year for peer review and watched several of the final FoF evolutions. His remark was that a laser allowed an average to better than average shooter the ability to make hits on partially exposed targets that he would have had a hard time making on a good day. That coming from an orthodox Mod-Iso/sighted fire instructor at his level tells me something as to the value of lasers.

I can't imagine not having one on a housegun.
    To further validate Claude's assesment of lasers, I watched him shoot several stages in an IDPA match, first without and then with a laser with a J-frame. Accuracy was better and his times were much better.

Another advantage of a laser is an ability to provide aimed fire without a sight picture. I can see several advantages to this ie. having been knocked down and unable to get a full or partial pressout for starters.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List