Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Time Plus and how fast is fast enough?

"I try and put as much distance between my performance and the point of failure as circumstances permit, because the penalty for failing is severe."

Thanks Kevin, you put into better words than I have what we try to do.

RobS also makes a point that has been part of an article I am working on. I spend more time at weekend long Volleyball Tournaments, and private and team coaching for my daughter. Most of my discretionary money as well. At this point in life as a retired cop, solo parent to a young girl, who has spent most of my life "training for the day" (and won everytime the day came so far), at home with my kid and a SIRT pistol is a better investment for me than a hundredth on my splits. Guess I won't win a trophy this year again, but still have a very intact mean gene.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    We don't train in a vaccuum. Time spent at the range is time spent away from reality. Time spent at the range training for an event that has a <0.1% chance of occurring is taking time away from the reality of family, job, other activities that contribute to general happiness, fitness, etc. I know people that have wound up divorced because of time spent at the range. There's a word for that type of person, it's "idiot".

Everyone balances everything. Not just speed vs. accuracy but also reality vs. fantasy. If you're training for your fantasy "gunfight" you should probably study statistics on self-defense events and train to the highest likelihood. If you're training for a competition you should probably study the scoring and learn how speed:accuracy is weighted in the scoring and apply that to your level of shooting (to my earlier point that I can beat people of my same classification simply by blazing away and letting accuracy suffer)
    Rob, have you considered the possibility that some of us just plain enjoy shooting, with getting better at shooting as a primary goal in itself, and have a wife, who enjoys shooting and getting better at shooting just as much, as their training partner at every session? In our case, shooting makes our relationship stronger, and along with flying, exercising and hunting are activities we do together. I am a better pilot, hunter and shooter because I do that with my wife, and we share, dissect, compete, encourage and coach each other.

There is a word for this -- extremely lucky.

Rob, I would add that for some people the fight is a lot more real than it is for others. They put time in at the range because they would like to enjoy the reality of family, job, and other activities that contribute to general happiness someday.
    C Class shooter.

Delete. Found answer in later post.

Site Supporter
    GJM, you are so far past extremely lucky as to be blessed. Good on you both!

User Tag List