Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SLG Mini Course

This was without a doubt one of those training opportunities of a life-time. Because of all the support from the pistol-forum.com Staff and S.M.E.s everyone there got one on one shooting instruction from a few different people. The class was split in half allowing one string of students to be on the firing line, while the other string was reloading and rehydrating. This kept the day moving forward at a brisk pace because of limited time we had, but no one was left behind.

SLG's instruction was top-notch. He took the process of firing two shots in rapid succession and broke it down into the fine details, and provided drills for each component of the process. Drills you can take back and use during personal practice to perfect the techniques demonstrated. He took the time to immediately answer any questions that came up, and went up and down the line for each drill making sure everyone was okay.

Some of the topics discussed were:
    Stance, Grip, Sights, Trigger Control (Prep, Press, Reprep), Recoil management, Presentation, Reloads, Draws

SLG's parting advice was: Practice, practice, practice & trigger time is trigger time (no matter the gun.)
    Last edited by Dropkick; 05-09-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: time-out

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    It was good to meet all of you and to have the opportunity to offer some level of assistance. As always, it was a spectacular treat to be on the range with people like SLG and SeanM.

Hopefully in the class you were able to get a good read on the people behind PF.com, what motivates them, and what we hope this forum will be about. I'd wager that most of you had no idea you could accomplish so much in such a short period of time. Good instructors are a shortcut to success.

I have to commend the students at this course for being safe, teachable, and eager to learn as much as possible. A lot of information was fired at you very quickly, but as far as I could see you all seemed to absorb it well and showed marked improvement by day's end. It was a pleasure to work with you!
    Last edited by TCinVA; 05-09-2011 at 09:42 AM.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    and what we hope this forum will be about.
    Silky smooth luxurious hair...

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Silky smooth luxurious hair...
    Don't hate the player...hate the game.

Listen to the hot dog...
    Last edited by TCinVA; 05-09-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Site Supporter
    ATTN: Students

I'm in the process of weeding out the pictures. I talked to a few of you at the class and only one person mentioned they don't care for pics - actually they said they didn't like candid shots (for him - I'll error on the side of caution and remove all of them for him). I know I didn't make it to everyone. If you don't want the picture posted, I will be happy to trash them, please send me a PM.

Most of the pics are NOT candids, but of the students shooting. Most are over the right shoulder so I caught the back and sides. Less than 5 (of 67 not culled) show enough of a (student's) face to make someone out, the vast majority are partials.

Some of the action shots came out pretty good. I got a few where the slide was recoiling, the brass was in the air, and the steel plate was falling.
    Last edited by JV_; 05-09-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Love all the wonderful comments and to hear it went so well. SLG definitely has great skills and I know he really enjoyed the time with everyone.
    All the best,
    Julie

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not represent those of the author's sponsors and employers.

A big thanks to SLG for volunteering to do this. It was a great afternoon of pistol shooting. I needed to brush up on the fundamentals and also, different ways of saying/doing things click with people at different times. So I had several specific take aways dealing with press out and reset.

Todd and the other staff, thanks for doing what you guys do, the way you do it.

TCinVa, I wish I had your hair. And for those who dont know, This man has an amazing ability to be a one on one coach. If you get the chance to be coached by this guy, take it.

SeanM. All I can say is thank you for what you have done. I look forward to sending some good news soon.

Fellow students. It was good to meet some locals and make some connections with faces/names. I look forward to shooting more with you guys.

PJ

Site Supporter
    I'm waiting on approval from a number of the Staff/SME folks on some pictures, so I can't post them all, but here is a small bundle of them: I like the half fallen steel plate!

Everytime I have heard this class menitioned I have heard Napolean Dynamite in my head "Lucky".

Good to hear it went well.

TCinVA, now that you've shown us your secrets to pistol shooting, how about letting us know what products you use to get such "silky smooth luxurious hair..."

User Tag List