Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does recent testing data on 10mm loads exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    200grs at 1140 would be quite a handful. Any idea what you're pushing for pressures? Are you running the OEM RSA?
    Gen 4 with OEM RSA. No idea on pressure, but the load doesn't feel much stiffer than 180 HST or Ranger Bonded. I am using a KKM barrel. Just went back and checked, and the listed velocity is 1,106 fps out of a G22, although I haven't choreographed it.

The Garrett Cartridges Defender .44 magnum load for the 4 inch Scandium 329 is listed at 300 something grains of hard cast at 1,020 fps, so even if this load is in the same velocity I believe it will penetrate a bear's skull.

Doesn't a cast bullet crank up the pressure less than a FMJ of the same weight? Just wondering if that is where they got the extra velocity from out of that load.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Doesn't a cast bullet crank up the pressure less than a FMJ of the same weight? Just wondering if that is where they got the extra velocity from out of that load.
    I had that thought, but wasn't sure the source. I did a quick search, and couldn't find anything and was hoping someone would chime in.

Irrespective of the pressure, I believe an equal velocity, proper hard cast load will way out penetrate a jacketed load. So rather than try to push a jacketed bullet faster and faster thru a 10mm for penetration, which I believe decreases reliability, the hard cast thru a .40 Glock, which I shoot better than the large frame 20/29 seems a good solution. Arguably hard cast thru a 10mm might offer a bit more velocity, but I am not convinced that extra velocity is necessary for penetration.

My wife and I are both carrying a .40 with hard cast in Alaska -- mixed feelings, hope we get some penetration data but not the hard way.

Cast lead, however "hard," does not develop the same peak pressure that jacketed bullets do. Lead is softer, and has a lower CoF against steel and stainless steel than copper.

And 1140fps for a 200g bullet in a 40? Uhhh, that sounds dangerous. That's darn close to the original Norma loading for the 10mm. Out of a 5" bbl.

The 10mm is my favorite round, btw. More often than any other, I've got a WC 10mm with me. For SD, Hornady makes a great 155g load that doesn't penetrate like the 180/200g stuff. The Silvertip is nice too.

I have noted what little Double Tap ammo I have seen crono'd is slower than advertised. G, have you tested that .40 load in particular?

I have seen quite a bit of Speer .40 ammo running faster than book, 180gr Gold Dot at 1075fps and 165gr Gold Dot in the 1185 range, but that ammo was beating the crap out of our gen 3 G22s and was unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I have noted what little Double Tap ammo I have seen crono'd is slower than advertised. G, have you tested that .40 load in particular?

I have seen quite a bit of Speer .40 ammo running faster than book, 180gr Gold Dot at 1075fps and 165gr Gold Dot in the 1185 range, but that ammo was beating the crap out of our gen 3 G22s and was unreliable.
    I am not set up to chrono now, but I would be happy to send a few rounds to someone who can test the velocity. Using my wrist chrono, it feels about like 180 HST. I would be happy as long as it is north of 1,000 fps.

I am not a .40 fan -- I just view this load/pistol/barrel as a tool, and shoot it enough to verify reliability and then carry it around critters.

The 10 mm Federal 190 gr bonded JHP (XM1003A) is a good load; velocity is typically around 900-925 f/s or so.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The 10 mm Federal 190 gr bonded JHP (XM1003A) is a good load; velocity is typically around 900-925 f/s or so.
    Would that be your recommendation for 4-legged vermin of the Ursine variety as well a good pig/deer/medium game load

Pigs and Black Bears: Any quality barrier blind service caliber load
    Brown Bears: 12 ga with good slug (Brenneke or Fed Deep Pen); .45-70 lever gun with deep penetrating projectile; above .30 caliber rifle (.338 Win Mag, .375 H&H Mag, etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Pigs and Black Bears: Any quality barrier blind service caliber load
    Brown Bears: 12 ga with good slug (Brenneke or Fed Deep Pen); .45-70 lever gun with deep penetrating projectile; above .30 caliber rifle (.338 Win Mag, .375 H&H Mag, etc...)
    Even 9mm 124 +p HSTs? Be nice if I didn't have to get a dedicated woods gun for local fauna. Or should I move to 147 for these purposes?

Also, just as a point of curiosity, is the data on service caliber loads vs.bears gathered from law enforcement encounters with these critters?

User Tag List