Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does recent testing data on 10mm loads exist?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar

Does recent testing data on 10mm loads exist?

Was sort of thinking about picking up a Delta Elite for no good reason...this got me to thinking about 10mm (which I like for various reasons, also mostly dumb ones).

Is there ANY quality data on any 10mm defensive loads? Any JHP bullets that work best on the high end of .40 velocities?

Has anybody made an effort to quantify the bow shock effect of a 10mm tearing a hole through time/space? Or is it more one of those things where once we figured out there isn't an advantage to the big pistol calibres other than intermediate barrier penetration and getting you laid a lot, there wasn't really much of a point in testing it further?
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I'd be interested as well as a Smith 1006 is my backcountry gun. I would assume however that the ten has pretty much been forgotten by the mainstream makers of SD rounds.

I'm not Doc, but he does let me call him and bend his ear quite a bit.....

From Doc's data, and talking to a friend who is an ER trauma surgeon, it appears that unless you are driving a solid bullet fast for max penetration that the 10mm doesn't do anything the .40 or .45 can't do. It isn't fast enough to get rifle level of wounding. My trauma doc friend tells me that in some tissues, and using a hot .357mag or 10mm JHP load, he can see slight tearing but he isn't convinced that it contributes anything to greater wounding or "stopping power"

Unfortunately, the load development that has given us the HST and Ranger T/Bonded loads in 9, .40 and .45 hasn't happened in 10mm. Still, I carried a 10 mm for a number of years in a woods setting, using FMJ bullets. Unfortunately, the heavier and faster the 10mm load, the further from the reliability envelope you get. When you have to choose between reliability and penetration, it is easy to know which you would choose. After a lot of discussion, I decided to start carrying a .40 with hard cast, for my woods gun application. Right now, that is a Glock 22 with a KKM barrel and Double Tap 200 grain hard cast at 1,140 (as I recall) fps. They have run reliably, and I think I have better penetration than from a FMJ in 10. Since my primary is a Glock 17, my holsters and gear all work, and I have transfer from all my G17 shooting.

Darn shame, as I have always liked the 10mm, but they gather dust now.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    That is my rough understanding as well...

What I was really wondering is if there are .40 bullets which are likely to perform at their best when driven in to the upper end of .40 velocities. Some bullets would probably end up with petals folded flat, making the performance worse; I'm really curious to know if there is a particular projectile which maximizes the characteristics of the 10mm (other than living on a boat and not having to own socks).

I.E. if you wanted a non-.45 1911, and you thought 10mm worked well in the 1911 platform so that's what you bought, how could you ensure you were getting the best terminal performance out of your ammo?

It's kind of an idle question, I know. But I feel sufficiently knowledgeable to select ammo for all my guns other than my 10mm, unless, exactly as you say, my goal is max penetration. And sooner or later, I'll probably own a 1911 in 10mm as well, thus doubling my idle curiosity on what would work best.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I wonder if 9x25 Dillon (10mm necked to 9mm) would gain you any rifle like tearing? I've seen claimed 1700+ fps velocities with 125gr bullet. Probably would need a copper JHP to stay together.

The info that I learned was that you needed 2700 fps or higher to get rifle velocity wounding effects. I don't know know If I can back that up with published data but that is my recollection from an Insights First Aid class.

I'll look for data when I get home.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Depends on bullet mass, size, shape, expansion and velocity.

2000fps is roughly where that starts, however some slower loads can show significant tissue stretch, 12 gauge slugs as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    After a lot of discussion, I decided to start carrying a .40 with hard cast, for my woods gun application. Right now, that is a Glock 22 with a KKM barrel and Double Tap 200 grain hard cast at 1,140 (as I recall) fps.
    200grs at 1140 would be quite a handful. Any idea what you're pushing for pressures? Are you running the OEM RSA?

I wonder if the Hornady XTP would be a tough enough bullet to perform at the kind of velocities you are talking about? Doc's charts show a 300gr XTP at 1339 fps out of a 16" barrel getting lots of penetration and good expansion. How fast would a 10mm at say 200 or 180gr be moving?
    I am not fat, I am wearing organic body armor.
    "Foreign policy is best left to the people with a head for negotiation and satisfying others without really giving anything away: customer service representatives."
    - Sheepdog247

User Tag List