Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: J Frame died on the range today.

Quote Originally Posted by Talking Monkey View Post
    Saw this happen a couple weeks ago at an IDPA practice session. I believe it was a 686 SSR. It was indeed a show stopper.
    If it was a competition piece I wonder if it had been chamfered too hard. I've seen some clip guns that had some extensive chamfering and they still worked because clips. No clips, though, and there's just not enough extractor left to get the empties all the way out 100% of the time.

Generally S&W puts a very conservative chamfer on their cylinders advertised as such. I presume this is the reason the ends of the fingers aren't touched, so it looks ovular compared to what go-fast smiths will put on a clip gun like so.

If you get a piece of brass behind the extractor star, most people panic and try to just the ejector rod hard a few times. That no workee. Just reach up and pull the star away from the cylinder while holding the gun so that gravity helps, this will get the brass out from behind the star
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I have a "D-jammer" tools that I bought years ago after reading about it in one of Ayoob's articles. One of the things it does work well at is clearing the brass under the star problem.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List