Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: J Frame died on the range today.

J Frame died on the range today.

I was shooting with someone showing him the revolver manipulations I learned in the de Bethencourt class so he could get an idea of how to manage ammo and reload the wheel gun...when all of a sudden it died.

The trigger is dead. Does not move the hammer at all.

Wasn't his fault. May not even have been mine...even though I've probably dry-fired the gun to death.

It's not a new gun, it's a Model-49 and it appears to be about 30 or more years old, so it was probably due for something to happen.

It appears to be just one of those things.

It's going back to S&W and I'm sure they will take care of me, but it was a good warning about if it can break, it will.

Also, it was a good lesson on revolvers - they don't break often, but when they do, they go down HARD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    I was shooting with someone showing him the revolver manipulations I learned in the de Bethencourt class so he could get an idea of how to manage ammo and reload the wheel gun...when all of a sudden it died.

Wasn't his fault. May not even have been mine...even though I've probably dry-fired the gun to death.

It's not a new gun, it's a Model-49 and it appears to be about 30 or more years old, so it was probably due for something to happen.

It appears to be just one of those things.

It's going back to S&W and I'm sure they will take care of me, but it was a good warning about if it can break, it will.

Also, it was a good lesson on revolvers - they don't break often, but when they do, they go down HARD.
    That they do, wait until you get a high primer stuck on the milled notches on the back of the frame on either side of the firing pin hole. Worse, wait until that happens with a hard primer that didn't go bang when the firing pin hit it.... If only I had a chunk of coal that day, I could have made a diamond...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    FWIW, if it goes back to Smith, they'll probably offer to replace it with something from the current catalog; a 638, most likely.

If you have strong feelings about the internal lock, it might be worth seeing about having a good 'smith repair it.

The sear is stuck or more probably the sear spring broke. A good revolver smith should be able to fix this no problem.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

It's not under waranty so no free shipping and work

The work is gonna cost about $60 per S&W + Shipping (another $60).

I'm using the local gunsmith. He's got a good rep, and it will be cheaper than sending it out.

Anything else I should ask to be gone over, or replaced?

This may be a topic for a separate thread but partly for this reason I have a spare 642 standing by in the safe just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    This may be a topic for a separate thread but partly for this reason I have a spare 642 standing by in the safe just in case.
    This is why my 642 that I carry as a BUG in my weak side pocket on duty has another almost just like it on my ankle.

I figure if two is one, and one is none, then three is like at least one and a half, maybe even two.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I figure if two is one, and one is none, then three is like at least one and a half, maybe even two.
    That's fricken sigline material right there.

This is why on most days there's a 1911 on my hip, a J-frame in a jacket or vest pocket, and an L-frame in my purse. I figure if I'm bringing the jacket and the purse along anyway, they might as well hold a spare gun...

It's not under waranty so no free shipping and work

The work is gonna cost about $60 per S&W + Shipping (another $60).

I'm using the local gunsmith. He's got a good rep, and it will be cheaper than sending it out.

Anything else I should ask to be gone over, or replaced?
    If you're going to spend the money, I'd have them look at all the springs, clockwork, verify the timing and lock up, and if he's setup for it, check to see if the frame is still in specs. I have no idea what that will cost.

I thought S&W had a lifetime warranty?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    If you're going to spend the money, I'd have them look at all the springs, clockwork, verify the timing and lock up, and if he's setup for it, check to see if the frame is still in specs. I have no idea what that will cost.

I thought S&W had a lifetime warranty?
    As someone who's looking into buying one very soon, that was my perception as well.

User Tag List