Thread: Dovetail dimensions of P2000SK

Dovetail dimensions of P2000SK

It is my understanding that P2000SK dovetail dimensions are unique. For those that have experience with both the SK and P30, are the SK's smaller or larger than the P30? If they are in fact smaller, I may think about getting an SK and machining down a set of Heinie Straight Eights. I am not a fan of the other sight options for the SK. This is honestly the hang up for me.

ETA: Looks like the sights are actually more similar to the USP than the P30. Fortunately I have an old set of USP sights as well as P30 sights I can compare at the fun shop tomorrow.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 06-26-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    On the SK I get 0.47" at the bottom of the rear dovetail (measured from the outside edge) and ~0.45" (0.4475) at the top, using a digital caliper. Front dovetail looks like 0.33" bottom and 0.29" at the top. Since the slots are filled with sites, and I'm holding both the gun and calipers in-hand, please take these measurements with a grain of salt. I would not do any engineering based on these numbers.

Hopefully they're good enough for your purposes.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

The P2000SK and P2000 use the same sights.
    The P30 and the HK45C use the same sights.

I happen to have some take off sights from both guns to measure.

P2000 front sight dovetail is 0.307"
    P30 front sight dovetail is also 0.307"
    Both sights are 0.248" tall
    It appears that the front sights are identical.

P2000 rear sight dovetail is 0.457"
    P30 rear dovetail is 0.469"
    The problem is the P30 slide is cut so the rear sight sits down in the slide, the P2000 isn't cut that way so there would have to be significant modifications to the slide or the sight.
    And even if you modified them the rear sight would overhang the rear of the slide by quite a bit.
    I don't see it working.

For the SK, just buy some Trijicon HD's and call it good.

P2000 of the left, 45C on the right.

45C sight lined up with P2000 dovetail
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

JodyH, thanks for taking the time to reply, that is very helpful. Another issue I see is the lack of set screw(s) if the work is not perfect. But the drill press would fix that. I have grown so accustomed to the straight eight qwiks, and can't bring myself to install something less than ideal for me. Part of me wants to say challenge accepted, and make another HS8Q model work. I would have to verify POI with the original sights and the finished product.
    Taking a break from social media.

You'd be better off having a gunsmith make you a rear sight in the "Straight 8" configuration.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    You'd be better off having a gunsmith make you a rear sight in the "Straight 8" configuration.
    I would call Dawson Precision and see what they can do for you. They might be able to produce a sight that you are looking for.

User Tag List