Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay SMEs, what should this woman have done?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Keith View Post
    And now that she has been beaten half to death, but survived, how long under New Jersey law will it take her to obtain a handgun in the event he decides to come back and finish the job? I'm sure they have some sort of waiting period and other intentional red tape.
    When I lived there getting a handgun purchase approval took months. My 8th grade science teacher bought a .44 magnum for an Alaskan hunting trip and it took him 6 months to get approval to buy it.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    read this story of an untrained, young German Shepherd saving the day.
    My favorite, a story with a happy ending.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Keith View Post
    And now that she has been beaten half to death, but survived, how long under New Jersey law will it take her to obtain a handgun in the event he decides to come back and finish the job? I'm sure they have some sort of waiting period and other intentional red tape.
    There's no waiting period, but you do have to submit for a purchase permit. For long guns, it's good for life. I can go buy an AR15, shotgun, ect whenever I want and be out the door as quick as NICS comes back.

For pistols, you have to obtain a purchase permit for each pistol. Here in Trenton where the cops are fairly pro-good guy, shoot-the-bad-guys-for-us, this took me 3 weeks......Where BaiHu lives, the cops seem to be equally good at getting it processed. Some places are horror stories though, as the permit process is abused by overzealous government officials who use it as a defacto ban on guns, taking a good 9 months to process a pistol permit.

Or, you could just find a union shop member with an Italian surname and have whatever you need in an hour or two.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I am a single dude that lives alone, but if I ever find myself in the provider role with family members at home that cannot (or will not) defend themselves again I cannot imagine any other choice than shelling out the cash for a trained guard dog. I have several friends that have them and the dogs behave as members of the family every day just as any other dog (although better behaved overall) so I would not have any concern about the dog turning on the family. Even if the dog winds up sacrificing itself for the humans to escape, that's better than a wife or child being the brunt of this kind of thing.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I am a single dude that lives alone, but if I ever find myself in the provider role with family members at home that cannot (or will not) defend themselves again I cannot imagine any other choice than shelling out the cash for a trained guard dog. I have several friends that have them and the dogs behave as members of the family every day just as any other dog (although better behaved overall) so I would not have any concern about the dog turning on the family. Even if the dog winds up sacrificing itself for the humans to escape, that's better than a wife or child being the brunt of this kind of thing.
    The video would have been significantly better had Mr. Home invader quickly become a chewtoy for a Belgian Mal.
    3/15/2016

It's nice knowing when I go to work a retired Belgian Malinois stays at home with the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    This happened 2 towns east of me in a very upscale neighborhood. The owner of AZ Iced Tea lived nearby this incident (dunno if he's still there) for example.
    Upscale neighborhoods tend to have spacious lots with the houses arranged and lawns landscaped so the front doors have a measure of privacy from the neighbors. Additionally, the prevalence of two-income families in suburbia mean that neighborhoods like this are ghost towns from 9-5 on weekdays.

In Caleb's old stomping grounds here in Hoosieropolis, there were subdivisions where multiple front doors were getting kicked in in one day by crooks who could be fairly certain nobody would be home. Would they have reacted like this to intimidate an unexpected witness found during their "work shift"? Dunno.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

BaiHu is apparently very close to me, as Milburn is about 10 miles from me.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    In Caleb's old stomping grounds here in Hoosieropolis, there were subdivisions where multiple front doors were getting kicked in in one day by crooks who could be fairly certain nobody would be home. Would they have reacted like this to intimidate an unexpected witness found during their "work shift"? Dunno.
    Man, I remember the Great Fishers Home Invasion Scare. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    It's nice knowing when I go to work a retired Belgian Malinois stays at home with the family.
    Any thoughts on this from your perspective as a street cop?
    #RESIST

User Tag List