Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Okay SMEs, what should this woman have done?

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    The G17 is a gun I've trained on extensively, far more with it in the last couple of decades than any other. I've taken most of my training in recent years with it,and I can do things with it I can't do with the j-frame if I want to show off and such. But the j-frame is a bit lighter, more comfortable to carry. a bit less obtrusive in my normal environment, and will take care of pretty much any realistic situation I can envision. I might (and probably will) use different tactics with the j-frame than with the G17, but either is adequate for my needs most of the time.
    From this weekend's CT news -- a perfect J frame defensive scenario:

A woman was forced to the ground while two men robbed her at gunpoint in her Hartford home on Saturday

Police were called to an apartment at 749 Wethersfield Ave. around 12:17 a.m. They learned that two suspects had entered the unlocked residence brandishing a shot gun and handgun.

According to police, the two male suspects forced the female victim to the ground and took a safe containing jewelry and money. The suspects, both wearing black ski masks, fled on foot.

The victim did not suffer any significant injuries. Police searched the area but did not locate the suspects or any evidence.

The Major Crimes Division is investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    From this weekend's CT news -- a perfect J frame defensive scenario:

A woman was forced to the ground while two men robbed her at gunpoint in her Hartford home on Saturday

Police were called to an apartment at 749 Wethersfield Ave. around 12:17 a.m. They learned that two suspects had entered the unlocked residence brandishing a shot gun and handgun.

According to police, the two male suspects forced the female victim to the ground and took a safe containing jewelry and money. The suspects, both wearing black ski masks, fled on foot.

The victim did not suffer any significant injuries. Police searched the area but did not locate the suspects or any evidence.

The Major Crimes Division is investigating.
    Yes, a G17 loaded with Ranger JHP would have clearly changed the outcome.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Playing both sides of the fence;

In almost every single "civilian"* self defense scenario I have ever seen as soon as any good guy pulls a gun the bad guys are "assholes and elbows" at the first shot.

I worked a local case where this was illustrated; three armed bad guys, kick in door, immediately start catching rounds from a fusillade launched from a Browning Buckmark, decide to attend to urgent matters elsewhere, never make it more than two feet into the house.

There are huge psychological factors at play here, victim vs hunter mindset, psychology of predation, etc.

In the case that the OP posted ref that gal getting the beat down; if she had the mindset and any quality defensive handgun the are likely, as in very highly likely, that the bad guy would have run at the sight of the gun or at the first shot.

For people who won't ever buy or want a gun one of my bits of advice is to buy a dry chemical fire extinguisher. If the gal in the OP had one and the mindset to use it I venture that the bad guy in question would have had a face full and then been beat upside the head/neck/shoulders until he bled profusely from his ears/nose/mouth.

However, comma, we (being trained shooters and what-not) know that one can not always count on bad guys to quit. I know of several cases where suspects in the middle of an excited delirium episode (to give a worst case zombie scenario) kicked in doors and went after the home owners. Best to be ready for suspects that are hard to stop, then one is by default more than ready for a lesser threat.

Has this dead horse been kicked enough yet?

*(note; use of civilian in quotes to placate the people who get all assed up over non-LE people being called that. Yes, I am fully aware that the police are also civilians since they are not military)

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Best to be ready for suspects that are hard to stop, then one is by default more than ready for a lesser threat.
    /thread

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    /thread
    Is it truly over??

Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List