Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay SMEs, what should this woman have done?

Okay SMEs, what should this woman have done?

This happened 2 towns east of me in a very upscale neighborhood. The owner of AZ Iced Tea lived nearby this incident (dunno if he's still there) for example.

Police in New Jersey are using nanny cam footage to track down a robbery suspect who punched and choked a suburban mom while her terrified 3-year-old daughter watched.

At 10:30 a.m. Friday, the suspect kicked down the locked door of a Millburn, N.J., house and assaulted an unsuspecting homeowner.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3495317.html

Last edited by TCinVA; 06-25-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Edited to embed video
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

I am not an SME but if she won't wear a gun (not that I recommend that for the untrained) and doesn't have one within reach, a good dog can change things dramatically. But, don't take my word for it, read this story of an untrained, young German Shepherd saving the day.
    #RESIST

No SME here, but it illustrates one of those issues that just drives me crazy. Nobody should be able to kick down an exterior door. It just doesn't cost that much more to buy and install a decent door that is sturdy enough to take a fairly normal attack without giving way.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Interesting that it was a lone guy and that he kicked in the door. I wonder how that lines up with "typical" hot home invasion scenarios?

ETA: Also wonder if it was a planned hot home invasion, or a planned cold invasion gone wrong?

How much trouble would this woman be in today had she employed deadly force against this intruder?

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    How much trouble would this woman be in today had she employed deadly force against this intruder?
    I doubt much, even in NJ given the camera footage.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    No SME here, but it illustrates one of those issues that just drives me crazy. Nobody should be able to kick down an exterior door. It just doesn't cost that much more to buy and install a decent door that is sturdy enough to take a fairly normal attack without giving way.
    Great place to start. In addition to a heavier, sturdy door, we had our front entry door installed to swing outwards as well to aid in that scenario.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Interesting that it was a lone guy and that he kicked in the door. I wonder how that lines up with "typical" hot home invasion scenarios?

ETA: Also wonder if it was a planned hot home invasion, or a planned cold invasion gone wrong?
    I'm willing to bet a box of 9mm that he didn't just kick in a door at random. I'm willing to bet he watched the house for at least a little bit before kicking in the door. He went right at her from the getgo.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Even in NJ, not much. I'm sure every police officer who watched that footage had the thought of driving that bastard to the Pine Barrens and digging him a hole.
    3/15/2016

It's telling that she said she made the conscious decision to not fight back. There's a bit in the tape where the attacker very calmly closes a cabinet door so he doesn't catch his hand on it during the backswing of kicking her ass.

This is based on nothing more than a hunch, but this doesn't look like a home invasion gone wrong, it looks like an intentional beat-down gone right (for the guy doing the beatdown).

And now that she has been beaten half to death, but survived, how long under New Jersey law will it take her to obtain a handgun in the event he decides to come back and finish the job? I'm sure they have some sort of waiting period and other intentional red tape.

User Tag List