Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolf Brand Ammunition and Steel Targets

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As long as we are on the topic of Wolf, how does it run in a Glock 17, and are there any issues related to the cases in terms of durability of the pistol?
    It has run great in my pistols with no noted durability/wear problems LOTS of rounds later. I keep an eye on the extractors just to be safe but haven't had any issues. It is filthy stuff though.

I think you should buy boat loads of it and if it doesn't run in your 17/34, you can give it to me.

On topic, I've had no issues with wolf pistol ammo on any number of cheap unhardened steel targets. And I've got 5000+ rounds of 223 Wolf on an Action Target torso with no visible damage, but the torso steel is the 550 brinell model so YMMV with softer steels.

t

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    It has run great in my pistols with no noted durability/wear problems LOTS of rounds later. I keep an eye on the extractors just to be safe but haven't had any issues. It is filthy stuff though.

I think you should buy boat loads of it and if it doesn't run in your 17/34, you can give it to me.

On topic, I've had no issues with wolf pistol ammo on any number of cheap unhardened steel targets. And I've got 5000+ rounds of 223 Wolf on an Action Target torso with no visible damage, but the torso steel is the 550 brinell model so YMMV with softer steels.
    t
    That is the key, IMO. It's not so much the ammo as it is the target. I've got Action Target plates and MGM plates that apparently can't be hurt by anything I shoot at them. On the other hand, steel from other companies that is supposedly rated the same has not fared so well over the years.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

I spent all last year blasting MGM targets with 556 green tip, Wolf 762x39, 762 NATO of all flavors from 0-350 and have yet to have issues beyond needing to replace bolts and wingnuts. And they get hammered. 20-25 guys per day, 6 days at a time 8 times a year.

Round count at the end of a 3 day course is generally about 500-700 rounds per guy. Times 25. Times 6. Times 8. = a metric @$$ ton of lead, copper, and steel flying into steel targets. Conservatively, it is 600,000 rounds spread out among 100-150 targets. Of course, not every round fired hits the targets, but still, an @$$ ton of rounds to be impacting targets. I generally get about 2 years use out of an MGM AR500 target. Other "AR500" targets I have used have failed as early as one day, and end up relegated to .50 cal at 800+, and some that made it six months. MGM has the proper definition of AR500, and how it applies to long lasting targets.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

As long as we are on the topic of Wolf, how does it run in a Glock 17, and are there any issues related to the cases in terms of durability of the pistol?
    When I tested steel cased pistol ammo last year, I noticed consistent feeding issues with Glocks that were related to the magazine. If the mag wasn't kept clean, the rounds would bind up and fail to feed all the way up.

I have taken the Wolf, tossed it in an ammo can, then did a few blasts of Amsoil Metal Protector and shook them up and worked it around. Eliminated feeding issues (drag between the cases). You will need to be mindful of the potential to dirty up the mags though.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Wolf is great if you want to test your malfunction resolution skills.
    CC
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    CC
    I've shot many cases of Wolf 9mm and never had an issue. Tula, on the other hand, no end to my issues with that stuff.... lots of FTF and light primer strikes.

This is through Gen 3 Glock 19/17/26

I've had some of the bimetal jacket splatter back at me, when shooting steel from about 15 yards. These were gong style in shape and not pop marked up. I've never had that happen with copper jacketing.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    CC
    Interesting, considering the fact that I know folks that run Wolf in G19s without issue (not your average shooters, either, so the round count is pretty high).

I'm curious whether your experiences were with new Glocks, or what...? Can you elaborate?

I've had exactly one failure to fire with Tulammo 9mm out of 2000 rounds I've shot. No feeding problems so far but I do get an occasional brass to face in my 2008 manufactured G19. I haven't experienced any problems on steel targets either. Definitely not the best ammo but it keeps my round count higher because of its ease of acquisition before the super scare.

User Tag List