Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The no look re-holster.....aka Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I don't intend to cast any poor light on the character of the RSO...but is he 100% sure he saw what he says? We know people who are witness to something stressful (like a gunshot wound) can be blind to some things or can insert something into the video in their head that wasn't there.

Is it possible he just thinks he saw that the guy's finger wasn't on the trigger?
    I know if I were in his shoes and I was the RSO I would certainly not want to have to tell anyone that I missed it and would be thankful that the self-perforator was working my defense for me.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

As a RSO I can tell you it's impossible to keep track of everything all the time.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Could anyone with the patience to listen to the 12 minute whale sounds recording summarize for me? I have about 30 seconds' worth of patience for inarticulate rambling on a good day and burned through all of it looking through the first video for something entertaining.
    a) He likes his new holster, which comes with a lot of different settings and mounting options, and
    b) He is going to participate in his first-ever USPSA match, and, because USPSA allows the dropped-offset setting to be used, he installs it - for the first time - on the video, and
    c) While more familiar with the belt-level setting, he is going to wear the holster set in the dropped-offset setting, for the first time - to 'try it out' - during his first-ever USPSA match.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    I'm not impressed with him in anyway, I have never met him before and don't know what kind of person he is, but the video, his moniker and his actions since leave a bad taste in my mouth.
    He's made not one but two videos on flying with guns; if you watch the videos you'll hear him say that he's planning a trip; he hasn't flown with guns yet.

That tells me all I need to know.

Derelict Boat Person Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    a) He likes his new holster, which comes with a lot of different settings and mounting options, and
    b) He is going to participate in his first-ever USPSA match, and, because USPSA allows the dropped-offset setting to be used, he installs it - for the first time - on the video, and
    c) While more familiar with the belt-level setting, he is going to wear the holster set in the dropped-offset setting, for the first time - to 'try it out' - during his first-ever USPSA match.
    Thanks, and...yeah.

I feel like the only absolutely unavoidable conclusion here is that this is not spontaneous ignition on the part of the gun. I don't know the exact manner in which the shooter is at fault...but I'm pretty comfortable with laying the blame anyway.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

We are diminished
    I just read through the whole thread for the first time and, at least for me, it reiterated the importance of following perhaps the most critical fundamental rule of all when it comes to shooting: don't tick of Byron.

This information was gleaned from another forum I read on occasion:

There are some of his other videos that he has posted of competition shoots were he has his finger in the trigger guard when it ought not to be. It seems to be a bad habit for him.

In this video, he has his finger in the trigger guard at 1:10 and at 4:22.

In this video he has his finger in the trigger guard at 6:45 and 6:52 when asked to make ready by a RSO and then when he goes to place his gun on the console of the car used in the shoot.

IDPA's practice of issuing a "Finger!" verbal warning prior to a finger-in-triggerguard DQ - rather than just an immediate DQ - always seemed like a bad idea to me.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    ...don't tick off Byron...
    Hehehe, I'm not sure whether to be flattered, or to wonder if I've been too much of an a-hole lately.

I just love a good investigation into the truth. Mr BigDawgBeav does not piss me off, but I find his statements difficult to square with reality, so I'm eager to see where the actual evidence points.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    This information was gleaned from another forum I read on occasion...
    Excellent find.

Here are screen caps from the times you mention.

April 7 match - 1:10.270 - Reloading the pistol with finger still on trigger

April 7 match - 4:21.427 & 4:22.629 - These are interesting because they show him starting this reload with his finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard. Less than a second later, however, while still performing the reload, his finger goes back onto the trigger.

April 21 match - taken from various time stamps between 6:43.669 and 6:52.979 - As noted by tmoore, he is preparing to begin the stage during this time window. In the first three screen caps, you can see him touching the trigger while retrieving a mag, inserting it, and generally making the weapon ready.

In screen cap #4, he has his finger off the trigger and straight along the frame...

But again, less than a second later, his finger is back on the trigger again, quite clearly:

The pattern I'm observing is that:
    1. He most certainly has a tendency to touch the trigger when he shouldn't be doing so
    2. His finger goes on and off the trigger unpredictably during manipulations of the firearm: sometimes leaving and returning within a second.

This does not prove that his finger was on the trigger during the negligent/accidental/supernatural discharge. It does, however, blow some holes in his assertion of his unfaltering attention to safety. It also shows that he sometimes touches the trigger while under direct supervision, while making ready for a stage.

If his finger was on the trigger in the original incident, I also think these screen caps show how an RSO could have believed otherwise. Given how quickly he floats back and forth between "finger straight" and "finger on the trigger," witnesses could have easily seen his finger straight along the frame, a mere split second before he actually touched off the round.

The totality of the evidence makes it very hard for me to believe that Mr. BigDawgBeav holds no fault for this discharge. It happens just as he is pushing the gun straight down into the holster: when these types of things most often happen.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Excellent posts, gents. I may use some of your findings in an upcoming blog post...

This gets at the core of the "safety" issue and how utterly retarded it is in most conversations. People are making assessments of safety without any critical examination of what they're doing. They're essentially totally blind to their own habits. I don't think anything demonstrates this more clearly than someone who shoots themselves asserting vehemently that they did nothing wrong while their youtube channel is chock full of video evidence that they're doing something that's likely to end up with an unintentional discharge.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List