Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Colt AR6720 Lightweight LE Carbine

Thoughts on the Colt AR6720 Lightweight LE Carbine

I intend this to be an ongoing thread on the Colt AR6720 Lightweight LE Carbine - both my own personal gun and hopefully input from others who own and use the gun.

Let's start off with the description from colt6720.com:

Designated the Colt AR15-A4, Lightweight LE Carbine, the AR6720 was designed to meet the needs of the law enforcement officer.

In partnership with Colt, it is available exclusively through Clyde Armory Law Enforcement Supply.

Designed specifically for the Law Enforcement patrol officer, its lighter platform recognizes the need to minimize weight while not compromising durability as firearms are generally carried for long periods of time and weight becomes a significant factor. The AR6720 represents a new generation of Colt rifle, which comes standard with an optics ready rail and a flip-up rear iron sight.

Colt’s use of the MaTech flip-up sight is unique among flip-up rear sights in that it has adjustment for both windage and elevation and its slender design allows for maximum peripheral vision when in use giving the shooter the most unobscured view of the target. These are also the reasons that the MaTech flip up rear sight has been the US Military standard for almost a decade.

The 16” standard weight barrel is magnetic particle tested after proofing by Colt to ensure every barrel is made of perfect steel with zero flaws. Because of this tight quality control, Colt barrels are durable enough to handle thousands of rounds of highly accurate semi-auto fire yet maintain a lightweight profile. Its 1:7 twist gives it the flexibility to use the widest range of ammunition from 40 grain varmint rounds to 77 grain long range match, while maintaining ballistic stability.

The bolt head is also magnetic particle tested by Colt to ensure all steel surrounding the cartridge is perfect and without flaw. These extra steps of quality are what set Colt rifles apart from other AR-15 type clones.

The AR6720 is a hybrid of Colt’s Government Carbine model AR6520 and Colt’s Flagship M4 Carbine model LE6920. This Lightweight Law Enforcement Carbine has a new roll mark of AR-15A4 recognizing Colt’s newest designation of an optics ready carbine.

I've only put 50 - 60 rounds of greentip through mine at this stage to confirm function and get a rough 100 yard zero.

Some initial musings:

Out of the box, the gun was pretty well slathered in lube... fairly typical for a Colt rifle. It came with a segmented cleaning rod, bore brush, chamber brush, manual, two 20 round black PMAGs, a black nylon carry strap, and a male QD sling attachment point. This model came with the new Colt Super-Stoc.

The Super-Stoc is a little on the ugly side, but it seems robust and has pretty much the same set of features as the MagPul CTR. What I couldn't figure out was the inclusion of a conventional sling mount on the bottom of the front sight base. The only real "factory option" for sling installation is to attach at the bottom of the front of the gun but at either the QD point near the bottom side of the stock or perhaps around the top of the stock. This arrangement is unworkable IMO... at the very minimum, Colt should have shipped this gun with a sling mounting option on the front that made more sense. Perhaps Colt considers the carry strap to be a throwaway part, much like they seem to consider the A2 grip? If Colt saw fit to upgrade stocks (the standard M4 stock isn't bad) I can't understand why they don't think it's time to upgrade grips? Something like a MagPul MIAD would make a lot more sense, what with all the frontstrap and backstrap options.

The gun is a true M4 flat top (marked at the top front of the upper receiver) but it uses a standard (not "F" marked) front sight base/gasblock. This was always a big criticism of Bushmaster and some other "lower tier" ARs but Colt decided it was fine here. I'm pretty sure an LE6933 FSB would go on this rifle... but maybe I'm just being picky. I've read that Colt installed a taller front sight to compensate for this, but I'm not so sure - I'd need to mike it out.

I removed the M4 handguards and one of the two heatshields on the upper handguard to install two separate Impact Weapon Components accessories: a TMC 1" Light Mount-N-Slot and a TM QD Rotation Limited Sling Mount-N-Slot. I then installed a Sheriff of Baghdad Weapon B-Sling and a SureFire G2L light.

The rifle comes standard with a MATECH BUIS. It was mounted on the second-to-last rail slot and was loose. I re-mounted it to the rearmost slot and tightened it up. It is spring-loaded and does not lock in the upright position. There is only one aperture, and there is no elevation adjustment. There is a windage knob and there is a range lever. More thoughts on this after I use it more.

The rifle was "on" for windage and about 2.5" low at 25 yards... I like to rough zero my sights for 1.5" low at 25 yards which I've found gets me very close to POA/POI at 100. I set my elevation lever at the shortest range: 200. I needed to adjust my front sight down a bit to bring my group up but it only took a couple of clicks. As I was writing this, I came across an instruction sheet which says for the M4 carbine to use the 300 mark. Meh, I don't know how much of a difference this makes but I'll keep it in mind. Once I set my sights I never adjust them anyway.

The gun was printing quarter-sized groups at 25 yards with iron sights and 62 grain PMC ammo. Trigger was typical (fine) and function was unremarkable. The magazines locked the bolt back each time and both dropped free.

I replaced the horrid A2 grip with a TangoDown BG-17 grip. At some point I may spring for a BCM Gunfighter grip.

The gun is now wearing an old Aimpoint Comp ML2 optic in a factory Aimpoint mount.

Now I get to go to the range and play with it some more. Next stop: confirm iron sights zero at 100 yards and then align the optical sight.

Any idea when the 6720 was introduced? I know that I bought two 6520s in 2005 or so and swapped one out for a flattop upper because the 6720 wasn't out at the time. I've been thinking of buying a 6720 just to put in the safe for a rainy day ever since they came out, but I can't remember when that was.

Not terribly important, just curious since many of us did the flattop conversion when there was no other choice.

Unsure of the exact date Rob... it was sometime in the Spring of 2010 I believe.

Pondering the worries over the thin barrel heating up, in reality what is an accuracy standard for a home defense/training carbine? I'm thinking 4MOA 5 or possibly 10 shot groups.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Pondering the worries over the thin barrel heating up, in reality what is an accuracy standard for a home defense/training carbine? I'm thinking 4MOA 5 or possibly 10 shot groups.
    The twerp shot a DD LW barrel for groups on TOS. I posted a link in the original lightweight thread.

Completely anectdotal, but my experience has been that I've never missed a shot or lost a match because of my barrel. Or, for that matter, my optic, trigger, stock...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I think because so many people like to use their carbine for other things. Or, for that matter, they simply want their carbine to perform as a "proper" carbine should because of principle.

Personally, I also like target shooting with mine. I think if all you plan to do with the gun is shoot someone across the room, then all the complaints about the accuracy of 196-series mini-14s and su-16b carbines is moot. So, I sorta agree with you.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I have had a LT6720-R for about 9 months. It came with a 10" Troy quad rail with MBUIS. Is the free floating rail an asset on a LW carbine? The only change I have to this carbine is a MOE grip. It has a Rogers SS. I do like the QR sling swivel capability on the stock as well as on the quad rail, front and rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    Is the free floating rail an asset on a LW carbine?
    For a carbine that will only be used indoors, while standing on one's hind paws, probably not. If you're going to do any kind of position or supported shooting at longer ranges, then yes, it's an asset.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Under the handguards the barrel is the same as that of the M4, no? I know it's the same as the M16/M16a1, and I never had an accuracy issue with an a1 unless something was jacked up on the gun.

My Ken Elmore built pre 6720 is all stock Colt parts, but if I use Federal TRU 55gr BTHP or Hornady 60gr TAP, and shoot from prone off of a sand bag rest for my front hand, the gun shoots into 1 1/2. I can get 4-5" from everything I shoot, Tula included. BTW, my HBAR never shot as well as my skinny barrel gun.

User Tag List