Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Advice on Summertime AIWB Holster: Lots of Issues...

Seeking Advice on Summertime AIWB Holster: Lots of Issues...

Mod - please feel free to consolidate to another thread if that's more appropriate.

I have decided to seek some advice, given the numerous peculiarities of my situation, to see what I should try.

I've been carrying AIWB for about a year now, and this forum was an invaluable resource. I've read through the 74 page AIWB thread, and the pictorial thread as well, and most of the major review threads. And yet, given my particulars, I thought I'd ask for some assistance.

I'm 5'8", 180lbs, not in terrible shape, but carrying a bit of the middle-aged muffin top. I have a G19 in a Shaggy and that's pretty comfortable, so I'm happy with that setup. However, I live in Houston, TX where even the G19 is a bit much for summertime. 100+ and 85% humidity is brutal. So for summertime, I have a M&P Shield in a N82 tactical pro at 5 o'clock position. It's this gun I'd like to find a AIWB holster for.

Issues:

- Rolling out: Because of the muffin top, and the short barrel on the Shield, most of the higher-ride holsters I've seen in the pictorial thread appear likely to cause the gun/holster to roll out. I've tried carrying it in a Remora AIWB, and I'm constantly having to adjust it because of this. I'll sit in the car to drive, the Remora will shift, and when I get out of the car, it's printing badly.

- Metal Allergy: I've investigated low-ride holsters, like Mr. Softy, but therein comes the second issue. I have fairly bad metal allergies. Enough that the rivets on jeans will cause a red painful rash on my belly. I can't wear most belts without changing the buckle to a nickel-free hypoallergenic metal. Which means that the slide of pretty much any gun will cause a rash. So every holster I have must have a sweat shield that fully covers the slide. In addition, there can't be any metal on the skin-side (e.g., G-Code INCOG) as that will surely cause a rash, unless those screws are replaced with hypoallergenic screws (unlikely).

Obviously, nothing where the barrel/slide is exposed on the bottom would ever work for me as I'll end up with a mass of rashes on the thigh/groin area.

- Grip: Despite all this, I'm wondering if there is a holster that would allow for a decent combat grip on the pistol. The low-ride holsters usually say that a full grip won't be possible, especially on these small pistols. I have a feeling that's where I'll end up, but just in case, wanted to know if folks had found something that allows for a good grip on a small gun like a Shield, that won't roll out, lever, etc.

- Kydex, if possible: And... I'm a fan of kydex with its positive "click" rather than leather. But I'll consider anything at this point.

- Cost: With all of these issues, one would think cost wouldn't be an issue, but... of course, it's always an issue. $100 on a holster isn't that big a deal, but $250 on a custom job sort of is....

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

-rsh

The Dark Star Gear aiwb holster for the Shield sounds like it would treat you very well.

Site Supporter
    Dark Star or JM should work well for you. Both can build the holster a little longer to mitigate the roll issue.

In regards to extending the holster to prevent the gun from rolling out.... I would carefully examine the size difference between what an extended Shield holster vs a G19 size holster would be. You may be trading 6 of one for a half dozen of another. You mentioned having some bulk around the middle...... I have seen this work to the benefit of concealment since the "cushion" envelops the gun in a sense, and allows the shirt to hang naturally. FYI I carry a P30 in a 5 Shot SME all summer long under just a t-shirt. I have a 28" waist and weigh 120 lbs. The trick is finding the right holster, and unfortunately lead times can be long for the good stuff. Keep an eye out for the WTS/WTT threads, as something might become available. Dark Star Gear makes a good product in Kydex.
    Taking a break from social media.

Fist #1K, sewn kydex so there's no metal to skin, full sweat shield and it has a good ride height that gives you a grip but no roll. Inexpensive and quick shipping are a bonus as well.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Seeking Advice on Summertime AIWB Holster: Lots of Issues...

Op, I also have nickel allergies and always wear an undershirt. Also, I cover the buttons/rivets of my jeans and the skin-side of the holster rivets with mole skin. It helps a ton.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Just throwing this out there;

I have a JM Custom Kydex w/ a leather sweat shield for a G19 I'd let you borrow for a bit if you want to try it.

I'm in NW Houston.

Site Supporter
    You might consider a Smart Carry, worn up a little higher than normal. The cloth will completely insulate you, as it were, from the gun and you can position it as you would like. It might be a little hotter than a smaller footprint kydex or leather holster, though. It's not a very expensive option to try, in any event. You might also consider reaching out to Jim at JRC and see if he thinks he could work something up for you in horsehide. If anybody can do it, he can.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Just throwing this out there;

I have a JM Custom Kydex w/ a leather sweat shield for a G19 I'd let you borrow for a bit if you want to try it.

I'm in NW Houston.
    Thanks TexasAggie - but I think I'd need to test one out for the small gun since they appear to have more of an issue with such short barrels.

-rsh

My Dark Star Gear appendix holster works very well with my Shield. I've gained a little weight back over the past 8 months, but this holster rides very well. The holster is elongated to about G19 length iirc, so it has enough length to not want to tip out over the belt. He also has a grip tucking feature where the belt loops attach.

Mine works even better for me with a Velcroed foam pad at the bottom.........a la Keeper.

User Tag List