Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D&L/Cominolli Glock Safety

D&L/Cominolli Glock Safety

As previously noted, I have long preferred having a manual safety on my pistol, as I have twice seen officers' lives potentially saved when another person gained control of an officer's pistol, but the engaged manual safety prevented the weapon from firing --I don't like to think about the outcome if the pistols involved had been a Glock, Sig, XD, revolver, etc.... In the incidents I have witnessed the officers had NO way to mitigate the threat prior to losing the pistol, despite adequate training and good quality Safariland retention holsters. All the DT/retention techniques in the world do not help when an officer is on the ground unconscious/semi-conscious. A manual safety can give officers a brief respite to neutralize the suspect using disarming techniques, access back-up weapons, and allow cover officers the opportunity to react and engage.

I have also seen several Glocks inadvertently fire when a piece of equipment inadvertently depressed the trigger, despite the shooter’s finger being outside of the trigger guard, straight against the frame--an engaged manual safety would have prevented these accidents.

In addition, for those carrying pistols AIWB, a manual safety is a prudent precaution.

The availability of an ergonomic manual safety is one of the main advantages of the M&P over Glock--so much so that I frequently contemplate dropping Glocks and going exclusively to M&P's w/ambi safeties.

Given the above, I have always been interested in the Cominolli Glock safety (http://www.cominolli.com/), but did not like the poor ergonomics...until now. Former LE officer and current noted gunsmith Dave Lauck of D&L Sports in Chino AZ (http://www.dlsports.com/) has developed a modified safety lever for Cominolli equipped Glocks that has much better ergonomics, similar to a 1911. We decided to give them a try, as shown below:

Keep in mind that the Cominolli safety does NOT work for left handed shooting, as there is only a safety lever for the right thumb.

The D&L Cominolli safety lever works in the same direction as that on the 1911 or M&P—up is on, down is off to allow firing:

Dave recommends using the Ghost forward bullet slide release (http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_...bat-Black.html) with his enhanced Cominolli safety lever, as shown below:

The Ghost Glock forward slide release is positioned in about the same location as safety levers on 1911’s and has proven to work very well—so much so that I’ve now installed them on several other standard Glocks without the Cominolli safety.

The D&L safety equipped Glocks did not pose any problems fitting into a wide variety of holsters, including the superb Safariland 6354DO ALS duty holster.

A couple of tight fitting kydex CCW holsters required some minor trimming or gentle heating and re-shaping, but this was easily accomplished.

While at D&L, Dave also installed his stainless steel G17 barrel with sand cuts (http://www.dlsports.com/custom-sand-...l-barrels.html):

Dave believes that the flutes give dirt and grit somewhere to migrate to, instead of grinding between the barrel hood and the inside of the slide, allowing pistols to run smoother and longer when used in dirty conditions.

Initially I was a bit slower getting my first shot off, but as I’ve got used to the D&L safety equipped Glock over a few thousand rounds, my times are getting back to normal on standardized tests like the 10-8, FAST, LAPD SWAT qual, 99 drill, etc... Accuracy was not effected in any way by the addition of the safety. Each of these D&L safety equipped Glocks has now fired over 2000 malfunction free rounds without any cleaning.

I am not suggesting anyone modify their Glocks; I am stating that having used a variety of pistols on military and LE duty, as well as for CCW over the past 30 years, I now strongly prefer pistols with a manual safety based on my direct experiences with both types. The D&L/Cominolli safety equipped Glocks are an option that appear to work well. Other individuals will have disparate experiences and will make different choices.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 06-15-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Who makes that slide release/slide lock?

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    Who makes that slide release/slide lock?
    http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_...bat-Black.html

Site Supporter
    I've got other priorities right now but I'd be interested in cost and turn-around. The website doesn't give any details.

I've always shot Glocks and it would be nice to have some time with a manual safety. Might push me over to carry appendix.

Cheers,

Cookie Monster

DocGKR,

Thank you for your contributions on this and other forums.

Slightly deviating from topic; Do you feel that having a manual safety should be of the same level of concern for non-LEOs or those who don't open carry?

Cost was $250 or so, turn around was less than a week.

I like having a manual safety on any pistol, whether for uniformed open carry or CCW, although it is perhaps a bit less critical for concealed carry.

Imagine being mugged, hit over the head, and stunned; bad guy pulls out your pistol, but does not remove safety and so pistol fails to go off as he sits there squeezing the trigger...I personally saw this happen to someone.

You are at home and set your pistol down for a brief moment as you begin to change and your child who was hiding reaches up and grabs it....I personally have seen this occur once as well.

You are carrying IWB and your jacket zipper catches on the trigger as your attention wonders a brief second while re-holstering after a stressful encounter--boom...I have seen this happen to someone as well. This can be particularly tragic with AIWB...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 06-15-2013 at 06:18 PM.

$250 was both barrel and safety?

How does the thumb safety work with a Vogel-ish grip? Not sure if these are your pistols, but I thought you had removed the GFA -- something change?

Vogel grip works fine.

I have not been using the GFA; however shooting a lot this week to test the safety levers, I managed to take a big chunk of flesh out of the web of my hand--typical Glock slide trauma, so I put the GFA back on to protect my hand. I really prefer the M&P ergonomics to Glock...

Note that Glock has a factory manual safety available and has sold it to some large LE agencies; the D&L version seems to be more ergonomic than the Glock OEM version:

Last edited by DocGKR; 06-16-2013 at 12:29 AM.

new G36 owner

After 35yrs of 1911, I bought a Glock 36. I assume most readers of this list already understand that particular choice. Like (most) 1911 owners, I like the thumb safety, and like the idea of such a safety on a Glock pistol. I appreciate this thread and the many knowledgeable remarks. Questions: Is this available for Glock 36? Is it available as a parts kit? And what the heck is the distinction re 3-pin?

I realize the G36 may be a pistol with limitations. Just curious whether it is a prodigal pistol with limitations. Thanks in advance for suggestions and observations. I am new on this list, and glad to be here.

Richard
    Last edited by Wyo250in77; 08-02-2013 at 10:35 AM.

No clue if it works on a G36--you'll need to call D&L.

Personally, if I were a 1911 shooter, I'd go with an M&P45 w/ambi-safety or maybe an HK45c any day over a G30 or G36...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List