Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good New Music

I love nearly everything by The Black Keys. Their early albums are very bluesy, their new stuff is a bit more modern.

Quote Originally Posted by TriumphRat675 View Post
    I'm a child of the late '80's/early '90's and my taste in music was affected by that - Primus, metal and grunge were my mainstays. Not much new music floats my boat, although I've branched out in my tastes to earlier 60's and 70's rock and even a bit of outlaw country.

BUT, over the last 10 years I've become a huge Queens of the Stone Age fan. Their new album is just outstanding.

Any new, good music (from whatever category) that you've picked up recently?
    Queens is outstanding. I swear I. The only person I know that grew up in the 80's that listens to new rock. I honestly hate most 80's music.

Haven't bought the new album yet. Honestly hadn't kept track that there was a new one out. I'm slacking.

I watched a documentary about the Foo Fighters the other night. It was really well done. It just amazes me how many of the bands I really like are connected in some way. Queens, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Eagles of Death Metal, I know there's more but can't think of them now.

Really liking the new Black Keys stuff. New Foo Fighters of course. I listen to Pandora a lot but it doesn't bring up a lot of new music. Rise Against has really grown on me. A lot of Avenged Sevenfold is really good. I like Chevelle.

I need to find some new bands though.

Try Them Crooked Vultures. Josh Homme on guitar/vocals, Dave Grohl on drums and John Paul Jones from led zep on bass.

Try Them Crooked Vultures. Josh Homme on guitar/vocals, Dave Grohl on drums and John Paul Jones from led zep on bass.
    Forgot about Crooked Vultures. Bought that one during last deployment.

This thread needs to keep going.

What's everyone's favorite/best way to find new music?

Quote Originally Posted by linkscoach View Post

I've used Last.fm for a couple of years now, and I've found some good bands through it.

My cool band-playing-in cousin tries his best to keep me in the loop. Pandora is ok, sometimes, though it gets repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by linkscoach View Post

iHeart Radio for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

And not that it's new, but if you like that you might like Kyuss. If, for example, you think that Black Sabbath was great but too serious in their lyrics.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Hey, some cool stuff there!

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I'd say 65daysofstatic is the band I like the most that I picked up in the last 12ish months.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WneDU-K3Sww

The Album Leaf really grew on me recently, too. The following video is also pretty f***ing good; beautiful perspective of Afghanistan by a vet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ra7kmLNLg

Also stumbled upon This Will Destroy You, though I prefer their earlier albums rather than their later, more drone rock stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPRxDfMIcsw

And though I've been listening to them for a couple of years now, here's a shameless plug for my fellow Texans, Explosions in the Sky.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFK5bnceOG4
    This thread is timely—I just bought a small stack of CDs for the first time in who knows how long:

• Low—The Invisible Way Used to be one of my favorite bands, but haven't liked them as much since they've been off of kranky records. This album seems listenable.
    • Daft Punk—Random Access Memories The debut album was pretty fun. This one? Not so much...
    • QOTSA—Like Clockwork After hearing about how "awesome" this was, a huge disappointment. I miss the band that put out the first album. In hindsight, this isn't godawful. I'll give it some time.
    • Flaming Lips—The Terror Now THIS is awesome. Really digging this record. Dark, for sure.
    • Black Sabbath—13 How embarrassing. Obviously one of my favorite bands ever. I don't know why I thought this album wouldn't be horrible, but it is. I think I'm gonna set this disc on fire.

Got the new Sigur Ros too but haven't listened to it yet. I'm sure it will be "ok", don't have super high hopes.

Ordering the new My Bloody Valentine, now.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Got the new Sigur Ros too but haven't listened to it yet. I'm sure it will be "ok", don't have super high hopes.
    I've only heard the first song, "Brennisteinn", since I haven't gotten around to ripping it, but the tonal shift is very dramatic, especially considering the direction Valtari and Meš suš ķ eyrum viš spilum endalaust were headed in. If they can keep up with the quality in "Brennisteinn", I think they will have a pretty killer album.

User Tag List