Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: since you are not in the army, why would your 223 have ball ammo in it?

Banned

since you are not in the army, why would your 223 have ball ammo in it?

Take a 60 gr Nosler Partition softpoint thru your thigh, obliquely, thru 11" of muscle, and see how much walkiing you feel like doing! :-) You are going to see about a 3/4" diamter wound path, not 4mm. :-) By the way, many such minimal wounds were seen caused by the Ak and by 06, 308, 7.7Jap and 8x57, too. That's just the inefficiency of ball ammo as a type.

Unsure if you're trolling but 5.56x45mm FMJ that is built to M193 or M855 spec does not punch an icepick-like hole through soft tissue.

Dr. Roberts can explain the wounding mechanism better than anyone else on this forum.

Banned

there's a closed thread that says the opposite.

right here on this site. I've never seen any reason to risk the potential failure to stop caused by ball ammo and just always carried good softpoint loads. Why is asking good questions considered "trolling", hmm?

You're coming off like a troll because you joined today, dropped a question that has been thoroughly dealt with before and you need to go back and use the search function or take your troll cudgel elsewhere.

Lastly, a legit post doesn't troll back to admin-look under Jay's name.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly View Post
    Take a 60 gr Nosler Partition softpoint thru your thigh, obliquely, thru 11" of muscle, and see how much walkiing you feel like doing! :-) You are going to see about a 3/4" diamter wound path, not 4mm. :-) By the way, many such minimal wounds were seen caused by the Ak and by 06, 308, 7.7Jap and 8x57, too. That's just the inefficiency of ball ammo as a type.

since you are not in the army, why would your 223 have ball ammo in it?

right here on this site. I've never seen any reason to risk the potential failure to stop caused by ball ammo and just always carried good softpoint loads. Why is asking good questions considered "trolling", hmm?
    Well, your question seemed rhetorical, and slightly combative, to me at least. But, I'll take a shot at it.

I don't think anyone here would argue that there aren't better rounds that exist for the .223/5.56 than 55 or 62gr FMJ. Here are some reasons people might choose to load FMJ in their rifle.

They like practicing with what they carry, and don't have the budget to spend on ammunition that's $1.25 a round.

At the distances you would typically encounter as a civilian shooter in a defensive gun use, FMJ out of a 16" barrel is more likely to upset than not, once again not ideal, but certainly not into the ice-pick wound track territory that people attribute to an "ineffective" 5.56 round.

They are of the opinion that a rifle loaded with sub-optimal ammunition will still perform leaps and bounds above a pistol loaded with state of the art ammunition, and don't worry about it that much.

I've got TSX loaded in my social magazines. After having had the opportunity to speak with some people who at close range shoot a lot of extremely violent, determined, well armed individuals on a very regular basis, I've come to the conclusion that I worried about stuff like that a bit too much. I like having the whiz-bang stuff, and choose it whenever possible, but I'm not nearly as concerned as I use to be.
    Last edited by Sparks2112; 06-12-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Because you didn't actually post a question. You made an argumentative post answering "someone," as if someone was already in conversation with you. It comes off quite strange. Awkward turtle.

As for anyone who's entertaining his argument, he is taking it almost straight from DocGKR, in turn referencing Martin Fackler.

ETA: In addition, DocGKR's NDIA presentation covers the ice-pick wounding mechanism of M193 and M855 in carbines quite well: http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    I don't think anyone here would argue that there are better rounds that exist for the .223/5.56 than 55 or 62gr FMJ.
    Typo? Because I'm pretty sure everyone, including DocGKR, would argue there are better rounds than M193 and M855.
    Last edited by TGS; 06-12-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Because you didn't actually post a question. You made an argumentative post answering "someone," as if someone was already in conversation with you. It comes off quite strange. Awkward turtle.

As for anyone who's entertaining his argument, he is taking it almost straight from DocGKR, in turn referencing Martin Fackler.

ETA: In addition, DocGKR's NDIA presentation covers the ice-pick wounding mechanism of M193 and M855 in carbines quite well: http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

Typo? Because I'm pretty sure everyone, including DocGKR, would argue there are better rounds than M193 and M855.
    Stupid typo. Aren't
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Spare us from all the theorists that seem to deliberately ignore mundane, practical matters.

"Because practicing with stuff other than ball ammo is freakin' expensive when you're the one paying for it, doofus."

I see Melvin's out of jail again.

User Tag List