Thread: Turning a .357 Sig into full-time 9mm

Turning a .357 Sig into full-time 9mm

I've got an older (late 1990s) Sig P226 in .357 Sig. If and when ammo prices and availability ever stabilize, I'm considering turning it into a full-time 9mm.

I've already got a Bar-Sto conversion barrel and never had any problems, but heard you shouldn't rely on the conversion barrels for anything but the range. Would the 9mm X-Change kit work on an existing .357 Sig frame? Does there need to be an additional conversion with the locking inserts? Thanks!

The slide assembly drops in and the only other change is the magazine.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Are ejectors not built into the frame in SIG pistols? I am not familiar with them. Were this a Glock, beyond exchanging the slide, barrel, and all of the slide parts, you would also need to ensure your ejector is at the proper angle to eject 9mm brass.

I know little about Sigs, but I will throw out that changing a Glock .40/.357 to a 9mm with one of the conversion barrels only requires the barrel and the magazines. All of the G22s and G23s I have seen converted used the .40 ejector and ran fine.

In fact, my G23 with a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel has been FARRRRRRRR more reliable as a 9mm than one of my Glock 19s. I have seen several Glock .40s with serious reliability issues start working 100% when used with the 9mm barrel.

From the Sig web site:

The P226 is one of the most modular pistols offered by Sig Sauer, only the P250 offers more variety.
    Caliber X-Change kits allow the pistol to be converted from its native caliber to a different caliber. The P226 9mm Caliber X-Change kit is compatible with virtually all existing P226 frames.
    You can convert your Sig Sauer P226 from .22LR, .40 S&W, or .357 Sig to 9mm with this conversion kit.
    The Caliber X-Change kit includes:
    Slide with night sights
    Barrel
    One 15rd magazine (call prior to purchase if you need a 10rd mag for residents of states with capacity limits)
    Recoil spring and guide
    Installation of a Caliber X-Change kit is simple and only takes a few seconds (you basically field strip the pistol and install the conversion slide). To install, remove the magazine and make sure the pistol is unloaded and clear. Lock the slide back and rotate the takedown lever down approx 90 degrees. Pull back on the slide and press the slide stop and ease the slide forward off of the frame. Take the new slide, fully assembled with barrel, guide rod, and recoil spring, and mount it on the frame. Lock the slide back with the slide stop and rotate the takedown lever back to its original position. The conversion swap is complete.

Please note that this kit is not compatible with Sig Sauer's X5 and X6 pistols. Caliber X-Change kits do not require a FFL for shipment. We can ship right to your address.

Caliber exchange kits don't work with all gens, so you need to do your homework. A 9mm caliber exchange kit won't work on early P229's without changing out the locking block, might be the same with a P226.

Site Supporter
    226s use the same locking blocks so an exchange kit would work fine. If you were going to just do the barrel the sights are the same on the 226s as the 9mm ( 8 front and 8 rear).

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Caliber exchange kits don't work with all gens, so you need to do your homework. A 9mm caliber exchange kit won't work on early P229's without changing out the locking block, might be the same with a P226.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    You are right.
    What a bummer too.

How many P229 frame changes

No rail from the mid 90`s what I call Gen 1

P229 Rail Gen 2

Is the 2 step frame P229 frame the same as the P229R

User Tag List