Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Robbed at gunpoint--again

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Maybe so, but as for myself, I'd rather take my chances while trying to defend myself, than to be trussed up like a hog, and have a bullet put into the back of my head like an animal.
    If you wait that long before deciding to escalate things, you have probably waited too long.
    Last edited by David Armstrong; 06-14-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    Attacking the armed bad guy isn't about being macho.

If an unarmed bad guy, or one who said he was armed but didn't draw, etc, asked for my wallet, I'd give it to him. There's nothing in there that can't be replaced.

If, on the other hand, that person has a gun, they are well aware of the seriousness of their actions and prepared to make a serious threat. Why shouldn't I assume that they will dispose of me as a witness afterward? Why should I bet my life that they will stop as soon as they have the money? They've shown they're serious and it's now a high-stakes poker game where my life is at stake. If I have to bet on anything, I would rather bet on my own skills, my own perseverance, my own will to survive, rather than bet on them not harming me.

It's not about alpha-male BS. I could care less about my stuff. It's about survival.
    You can assume they will dispose of you as a witness afterwards. Of course, you can assume you will win the lottery every time you buy a ticket. Neither of them are particualrly likely. I personally prefer to work with the odds instead of against them. If this were a high stakes poker game would you go with the odds or against them? Would you throw away three of a kind hoping you would draw a royal flush?? If it truly is about survival shouldn't you do things to improve the chance of survival and not do things that reduce the chance of survival?
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    Attacking the armed bad guy isn't about being macho.

If an unarmed bad guy, or one who said he was armed but didn't draw, etc, asked for my wallet, I'd give it to him. There's nothing in there that can't be replaced.

If, on the other hand, that person has a gun, they are well aware of the seriousness of their actions and prepared to make a serious threat. Why shouldn't I assume that they will dispose of me as a witness afterward? Why should I bet my life that they will stop as soon as they have the money? They've shown they're serious and it's now a high-stakes poker game where my life is at stake. If I have to bet on anything, I would rather bet on my own skills, my own perseverance, my own will to survive, rather than bet on them not harming me.

It's not about alpha-male BS. I could care less about my stuff. It's about survival.
    I tend to agree, but as others have stated, no one correct answer for all the possible variables.
    Regarding the natural movement of reaching for a pocket carry weapon.....I often practice holding my weak-side hand up in apparent compliance and submission, while informing the aggressor that I am getting my wallet for them. With my strong-side hand, I grip my weapon (worn just behind the point of hip) and draw while moving offline.

I understand that the above mentioned scenario that i practice is not going to be my fall-back plan, but I just wanted to illustrate that there are alternatives to pocket carry that also seem "natural"

Loving this forum! I just discovered it today, and have a TON of reading to do on the many sub-forums. great stuff!
    "One mind, any weapon."

User Tag List