Thread: +P... is there really a plus?

+P... is there really a plus?

Hey all, trying to figure out what ammo I'll carry in my Glock 26. I've got Winchester PDX1 147gr in it right now, but wanted to go to a lighter round for increased velocity, especially out of that short barrel.

Looking at Remington Golden Sabers - here's a comparison of velocities and energies for their 124gr and 124gr +P. The +P has about 10% more energy and about 5% more velocity at 0, 50, and 100 (feet, I think, but the page doesn't say).

Any thoughts? Is +P a lot harder to shoot accurately than standard? Is the increased power worth any reduction in shootability or accuracy?
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 05-03-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added link
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

I don't find much difference in recoil with Speer Gold Dot +P. The extra pressure does insure that the weapon cycles and probably gives you more consistent expansion.

I can't address the G26, but unless I'm looking for it I don't notice the difference between +p and standard ammo in my G17 or G19.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

We do all our testing with a 4" 9 mm, there is no significant change in terminal performance when dropping down to a 3.5" barrel...

Pick the ammo that is most reliable, accurate, and easiest to purchase for your specific situation from the ones listed here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    We do all our testing with a 4" 9 mm, there is no significant change in terminal performance when dropping down to a 3.5" barrel...

Pick the ammo that is most reliable, accurate, and easiest to purchase for your specific situation from the ones listed here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887
    Thanks, Doc.

Did you test the 124gr Golden Saber? Did it expand or penetrate less reliably than the 147gr?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

We issue the 124gr +P Gold Dot at my job, we have found this to be a very reliable round. The extra impulse to the slide helps insure that the gun will function even when dirty, lacking lube, shot from a position other than flat footed on a square range by an officer who might be injured or firing one handed, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I can't address the G26, but unless I'm looking for it I don't notice the difference between +p and standard ammo in my G17 or G19.
    Same here. I gravitate to 124 grain +P because I have come to believe that this provides an additional element of functioning reliability in the Glock platform.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    We issue the 124gr +P Gold Dot at my job, we have found this to be a very reliable round. The extra impulse to the slide helps insure that the gun will function even when dirty, lacking lube, shot from a position other than flat footed on a square range by an officer who might be injured or firing one handed, etc.
    That's the load I carry in my CCW Rig - I don't notice any recoil difference between it and 115 grain practice rounds.

User Tag List