Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Apex/ Barsto barrel M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Lee View Post
    Hello All,

I apologize for kicking a dead horse after so long. I figured that replying to this thread was the best place to answer some long asked questions.

In regards to the machined locking block, we abandoned the project after making a handful and testing them. Due to the tolerance variations of the gun, we saw no statistical data that they improved the accuracy. We will let Smith formulate their changes in the locking blocks and MIM them as they see fit. The cost to manufacture the new locking block would make it unprofitable, especially in light of the sporadic and minimal gains.

The Apex/Bar-Sto barrel:
    Years ago I had asked Irv if he could make a barrel to my specifications. The barrel that Bar-Sto produces is based upon Irv's years of experience in barrel manufacturing and not on my design specifications. As a result, I did not feel comfortable placing my company name on something that I had no hand in creating. The Bar-Sto barrel is a very good barrel, however there are very specific dimensions and twist rate that I require to accomplish my accuracy expectations.

As PPGMD mentioned, we asked him to keep quiet while I tried to sort things out. Irv is a good friend and an exceptional barrel maker and I do not want to tarnish his reputation. It boils down to the fact that any barrel that carries the Apex name must be entirely to my specs. Period.

So I have spent the better part of 4 years quietly looking at the 9mm accuracy deficit with the M&P. I have watched the various forum posts while I collected accuracy data and slide measurements throughout this time. I have also watched literally tens of thousands of individual frames of high speed video looking for clues as to the root cause of erratic accuracy. This is in part, why no one has heard from me.

I cannot comment on my findings as I am going through the patent process at this time. I will say that it is a complex, multi-faceted problem rather than just one single root cause. I can also say that we have a pretty good solution to the problem...

The point of all this is that I have been testing my barrel design since the beginning of the year. I can say with confidence that the M&P is mechanically capable of shooting 2" groups at 50 yards with commercially available 124 gr and 147 gr ammo, and sub 1" with tailored hand loads. Our test guns were 5" Pros and 9Ls shooting 5 shot groups from a Ransom Rest. When I am permitted to attach photos of some of the test targets, I shall.

I can host them for you Randy, PM me if you don't remember my email address.

The point of all this is that I have been testing my barrel design since the beginning of the year. I can say with confidence that the M&P is mechanically capable of shooting 2" groups at 50 yards with commercially available 124 gr and 147 gr ammo, and sub 1" with tailored hand loads. Our test guns were 5" Pros and 9Ls shooting 5 shot groups from a Ransom Rest. When I am permitted to attach photos of some of the test targets, I shall.
    Looking forward to it! If you're short on testers I know this guy who isn't afraid to shoot some groups and wants to see a better M&P...

Hello All,

So I have spent the better part of 4 years quietly looking at the 9mm accuracy deficit with the M&P. I have watched the various forum posts while I collected accuracy data and slide measurements throughout this time. I have also watched literally tens of thousands of individual frames of high speed video looking for clues as to the root cause of erratic accuracy. This is in part, why no one has heard from me.

I cannot comment on my findings as I am going through the patent process at this time. I will say that it is a complex, multi-faceted problem rather than just one single root cause. I can also say that we have a pretty good solution to the problem...

How long until the patent process is to the point where you can release product? I'll definitely buy one!

Does this patent have similar results on .40 and .45 M&Ps? Will you offer it for these pistols?

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    How long until the patent process is to the point where you can release product? I'll definitely buy one!

Does this patent have similar results on .40 and .45 M&Ps? Will you offer it for these pistols?
    We plan on releasing the first run by the end of summer. These will be 4.25 and 5" barrel lengths in 9 mm. Threaded versions will be produced later this year.

The new design should benefit all the caliber variants, however part of the accuracy equation is determining what twist rate yields the optimum accuracy for a given bullet weight range. My focus has been on the 9 mm because it seemed to have the most complaints regarding accuracy. We will explore making .45 and .40 barrels in the future, once we see how much of a demand there truly is for the 9 mm barrels.

Please note that my office does not have any information regarding a release date, nor any particular details about the design of the barrel. This project has been kept secret so that I could manage expectations and control the release of information, especially now that the manufacturers are about to submit their entries for the U.S. Army's Modular Handgun trials. The accuracy requirement is 4" at 50 meters, and from the data I have collected, the factory barrels cannot hold to this standard. Ours will.

Here's the first pic from Randy:

I just realized that my posts might be considered astroturfing according to the forum guidelines. If so moderators, please let me know and I will delete all my posts....

I just realized that my posts might be considered astroturfing according to the forum guidelines. If so moderators, please let me know and I will delete all my posts....
    No worries, Randy. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is pretty exciting. Too bad M&Ps aren't on the roster anymore. I really enjoyed the ergonomics when I owned some.

User Tag List