Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Apex/ Barsto barrel M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    You only need to send the slide and barrel...unless Cali's got some cockamamie rules against even doing that.
    I spoke to Randy Lee this morning and he says they need the whole gun.
    I didn't find out about California's goofy gun law until after I spoke to him.
    Last edited by agksimon; 08-18-2015 at 05:35 PM.

Gotcha, I read back (shoulda done that first...), and can see why.

So how do we send them?

Quote Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
    Randy Lee: California has their own set of rules about guns being sent to their state. My gun dealer told me he can't even send one there, without special permission, which is a pain to get. Also, if a gun isn't on their "approved" list, it can't be sent to you at all. How will we be able to send our guns to you for fitting, even if you have an FFL?
    Getting "special permission" isn't really special permission, it's a CA DOJ check that the person you are shipping to has an FFL, and doesn't take that much effort to get.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview

With regards to the "approved" list, that is for Californians buying pistols and has nothing to do with you sending firearms into the state for gunsmith work.
    Last edited by Sam; 08-18-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Also, you can send the gun in directly to an FFL, and it bypasses the Cal DOJ check. Apex can then send the gun directly back to you. The downside is that you have to send it overnight via Fedex or UPS. This can cost more than the slower ways your FFL can ship. Depending on how much your FFL charges, it may be cheaper to send directly.

Thanks for your replies on shipping to CA. Guess my local dealer didn't know the whole story. Now, I have to justify to my wife, my spending over $400 for a new barrel, without her retaliating and buying that much in new clothes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
    Thanks for your replies on shipping to CA. Guess my local dealer didn't know the whole story. Now, I have to justify to my wife, my spending over $400 for a new barrel, without her retaliating and buying that much in new clothes.
    Just except that it's an $800 barrel :-)

Hi agksimon,

California- love the climate and where I live, but hate the taxes, unfriendly to small business attitude and crazy insurance rates.

For ffl holders, it's pretty painless to get set up. CA Department of Justice requires a "Shipping Authorization Letter". The ffl holder will need to go th CA DoJ website and input their standard FFL data. From there they request a shipping authorization number using our name and 5 digit code. DoJ generates a number and printable form that says that guns are coming into CA.

It is nothing more than a way for the state to skew the stats and claim that there are millions upon millions of firearms being imported into the state. What they do not track however are the guns that are being shipped out. For instance, your ffl sends us a gun and their business is outside the state. They have to get the letter of authorization. When we return the gun, there is no accounting for the guns exit. Very few of the uninformed masses here know this- so when the media reports numbers of guns in CA, the numbers are inaccurate to say the least.

Apex will be moving out of the state in the very near future, as they have made it perfectly clear that they do not want us here.

When I talked to you the other day, I mentioned that if you were in Michigan, I'd be working for you.
    MOVE HERE, gun friendly climate. BTW: I'll be in contact with you about having the barrel replaced on my 5" M&P Pro.

Move to Georgia. We will welcome you with open arms.

User Tag List