Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any difference in primers? (cci v. Wolf

My reason for using Wolf primers was also that no others could be found at the time. I prefer CCI & Federal myself.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by TAP View Post
    Two of my friends are using wolf SPP right now and they are having quite a few that don't ignite on the first strike due to a hard primer cup. I believe these are the silver primers and not the brass colored ones but don't hold me to it (I could have the colors reversed).
    I'm one of those two he speaks of. The primers are silver in color. They always ignite on the second strike and the first strike is always good and on center.

I had 3 fail to ignite in a HACK class this weekend. Round count total for the weekend is unknown but TAP will surely know down to the exact #. He keeps up with all that stuff. Whatever he shot .... I shot the same.

What shitty fucking primers.

Out of 200 rounds I had probably 20-30 that did not ignite on the first try. 2 did not ignite at all.

Granted I am using a lightened striker spring. Probably the main reason.

Perhaps I'll put a standard striker spring in a carry Glock and see if I can shoot it well, and perhaps more of these will work.

Kind of like true snap caps...I never knew when one wouldn't work.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Granted I am using a lightened striker spring. Probably the main reason.

Perhaps I'll put a standard striker spring in a carry Glock and see if I can shoot it well, and perhaps more of these will work.
    Doubt it will make any difference. I have had days where I will have 15-20 out of 300-400 rds not ignite and days where they will all go bang. This is with stock GLOCK springs and a stock P30. I get the same rates with my GLOCK I use in IDPA which has reduced power springs in it.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Doubt it will make any difference. I have had days where I will have 15-20 out of 300-400 rds not ignite and days where they will all go bang. This is with stock GLOCK springs and a stock P30. I get the same rates with my GLOCK I use in IDPA which has reduced power springs in it.
    thanks for the info, that is good to know.

and I was wrong in my initial post. I bought 3 boxes of these turds. thats 2800 left, after today.

ugh...
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

At least you will get a lot of practice on immediate action drills.

Quote Originally Posted by TAP View Post
    At least you will get a lot of practice on immediate action drills.
    No kidding

I have not been able to shoot more of the 223 ammo that I loaded with Wolf primers in which I had one failure to fire. Closer inspection of the round that failed looks to me like it may have been a high primer so it could be my mistake.

To confirm my suspicion, I loaded up 100 9mm with the same copper colored Wolf small rifle primers, making certain that they were fully seated, and shot them in the P30- 30 rounds on Tuesday and 54 rounds on Thursday without any failures. Next I will try the last 16 in the G19 to see how they perform.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I have not been able to shoot more of the 223 ammo that I loaded with Wolf primers in which I had one failure to fire. Closer inspection of the round that failed looks to me like it may have been a high primer so it could be my mistake.

To confirm my suspicion, I loaded up 100 9mm with the same copper colored Wolf small rifle primers, making certain that they were fully seated, and shot them in the P30- 30 rounds on Tuesday and 54 rounds on Thursday without any failures. Next I will try the last 16 in the G19 to see how they perform.
    Assume you meant small pistol.

Anyway, I have the new silver wolf primers.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Originally when I purchased them it was not for money savings, it was because of the massive run on ammo and primers which created a shortage and Wolf was all I could find. During the rush, the savings was as much as $20 per K but now that things are settling down it is about $7-10 per K. $10 may not seem like a lot but when you load 10K rounds a year it adds up.

After having success with the first 2000 large pistol primers, and getting them for almost half the cost of Winchester which I normally use, I thought it was worth it. Now I am second guessing myself.
    You need to find a new place for your supplies. There were lots of so called "discount" places that jacked their rates up 2 years ago. There were lots of places that stayed loyal to their customer base and did not gouge their customers. Those are the only ones I do business right now

User Tag List