Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any difference in primers? (cci v. Wolf

Any difference in primers? (cci v. Wolf

I have loaded about 2200 9mm with cci no. 500 small pistol primer. Everything has been peachy.

I bought a couple thousand wolf small pistol primers a while back. I heard they may not be as reliable, so I've decided to use them for my own individual practice and get rid of them.

My question is..will this affect my load in any meaningful way? I did not adjust the powder charge. I am loading a fairly middle of the road 9mm. 4.2-4.3 grns of titegroup, loaded fairly long.

Do let me know if I'm about to lose a finger or something.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

I used both Wolf Large & Small Pistol Primers. Large pistol have been perfect. Small pistol; I have had several failure to fires and have personally watched two other people I shoot with have the same problems. I would use them for practice now that you have them but not for anything else. They just will not fire and should not contribute to a KaBoom.

I will not purchase any more Wolf Small pistol primers in the future.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I had 100% success with 2000 Wolf large pistol primers so I purchased some small rifle primers to try in 223 loads and have had one failure in the first 20 rounds that I tried. The primer looked like I may have not fully seated it which could be because I find them harder to seat than any other primers I have used.

I picked up some Wolf small pistol primers that I am going to make some loads for this week and will report back.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

How much $$$ are you saving by buying the Wolf Primers?

I haven't used wolf primers but I've never seen more than 10-15 fps difference in primer brands if using standard primers. Of course, a standard primer compared to a magnum primer will have a more appreciable difference and I would not suggest doing this without dropping down your load. I wouldn't even use magnums unless called for but that is just my opinion even though some people did when there was a primer shortage two years ago.

CCI, Winchester, and Federal Small Pistol Primers have all had negligible differences in my chrono readings if everything else was held constant.

Two of my friends are using wolf SPP right now and they are having quite a few that don't ignite on the first strike due to a hard primer cup. I believe these are the silver primers and not the brass colored ones but don't hold me to it (I could have the colors reversed).

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    PVI has wolf/tula SPP for $20 per k. CCI is $25.5 and WSP is $25.

Originally when I purchased them it was not for money savings, it was because of the massive run on ammo and primers which created a shortage and Wolf was all I could find. During the rush, the savings was as much as $20 per K but now that things are settling down it is about $7-10 per K. $10 may not seem like a lot but when you load 10K rounds a year it adds up.

After having success with the first 2000 large pistol primers, and getting them for almost half the cost of Winchester which I normally use, I thought it was worth it. Now I am second guessing myself.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I find them harder to seat than any other primers I have used.
    I have found this to be the case as well. Had several high primer in the last batch I made.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

I don't think it was much. I don't remember though, it was a while ago.

I've had trouble with Wolf SP and SP Magnum primers since some time in 2009 when Wolf went to silver color on the SPs. These problems are fairly well known, look on the Benos forum for many threads on the issue.

I have had alt least 2% failure to fire and many size variation problems with the Wolf SP. I have no problems with Wolf SR223 and LP primers.

Prior to the change, Wolfs SPs were as reliable as other manufacturers primers. I still have 2k Wolf SP Mag primers that I use for practice ammo, once they are gone I'll never use Wolf SP again.

I'm back to Win SP primers for match ammo. The cost saving is not worth the constant TRB and cussing.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

User Tag List