Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week 70: Frank Garcia Dot Drill

Started the session today with some dots. Afterwards immediately tried two FAST, both clean under 5, then a FAST at 10 yards, clean 5.41, then FAST at 15 yards where things got interesting. After going down 1 or 2 shots in the sixes, I realized I needed 7. something to shoot the FAST clean at 15 yards. I believe the Dots were very helpful with this -- really, really like the dots! I have also decided to run a number of FAST at different distances to make sure I know how to read my sights based on the difficulty of the shot, as opposed to what it takes at 7 yards.

That gets me to the point of this post, not sure if there is a suggestion box, but about a DOW with a FASTest at 15 yards, say 1 to warm up, and then count the next 2? The beauty of 15 yards is the body shots will not tolerate mashing the trigger like you can get away with at 7.

We are diminished
    Guys ... just another reminder, please keep the DotW threads focused on DotW results.
    Thank you.

Start Position: Concealed (AIWB under Polo)
    Gun: M&P9FS

Ran it twice.
    • 22/36
    • 30/36

Great drill. Definitely showed I need some serious precision work added into my training.

This was a new drill for me. I found I could get 4 shots off within the par time, but could not see the sights fast enough to get more than that.

Start Position: Concealed
    S&W M&P9 full size with Blade-Tech IDPA holster
    Score on each dot:
    1. 3
    2. 2
    3. 3
    4. 3
    5. 4
    6. 3
    Total: 18

This was a hard drill for me, it is going into my practice rotation.

Start position: Concealed AIWB under t-shirt
    Total number of hits: 17/36 | 20/36
    Gun/holster: M&P9 in JMCK AIWB | M&P22 in JMCK AIWB

This drill, or at least an abbreviated one, will be worked into future practice.

This was my first time shooting 2" dots at 7 yards, and it shows. After I shot it with my carry/competition gun I went back through with the .22 trainer. The 22 desperately needs a taller front sight due to lack of adjustment, so that equipment fault certainly didn't help. After spraying rounds all over the paper I ended the day with a 1" dot at 7 yards and did a mix of live and dry fire on it.

• Start position (concealed).
    • Total number of hits: 1st attempt 20/36. 2nd attempt 28/36
    • Make & model of gun and holster: HK P30 V3 from 5 Shot SME under a t-shirt

This was a brutal drill, more thoughts in my journal
    Taking a break from social media.

Concealed (IDPA) start.
    16/36 on the cold run, 23/36 after working on marksmanship fundamentals for two hours.
    Glock 34 #1, Warren sights, Vanek Classic trigger pack, Safariland 6378 OWB holster.

Very hard drill for me.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

gen2 Glock 19 9mm w/ Ameriglo I-Dot Pros
    Glock S/C 3:00 OWB under a tee shirt
    Herters 115gr TNJ
    10/36

Issue(s): Bad trigger presses as I raced the timer. I would have been much happier with a 3" circle result.

Start position: ready
    Total Number of hits 3/36
    Make and model of pistol HK P30 V1

Yes that is right only three hits out of 36
    I guess this was probably the worst drill possible for me to start out with the new P30!

We are diminished
    Tried this again today after fooling around with my grip a little. Also, I used a timer instead of the turning targets.

1. 5.18, 5 hits, 1 over
    2. 4.89, 6 hits
    3. 5.34, 5 hits, 1 over
    4. 4.73, 5 hits, 1 out
    5. 4.63, 6 hits
    6. 4.21, 6 hits

Total hits: 33 out of 36

SACS/Warren 9mm 1911 shot from JM Custom Kydex aiwb under untucked polo.

The last dot I shot with AE9AP (American Eagle 124gr standard pressure) instead of the 54882 (124gr mil-spec "+P") that I used for the rest. It made a significant difference as you can see. I then shot it again all with the softer ammo and trick-kittened myself into going way too fast; I shot two of the dots in under 4 seconds but had multiple misses on each and a total of 13 down (for a whopping 23):

1. 4.54, 5 hits, 1 out
    2. 4.54, 4 hits, 2 out
    3. 4.58, 5 hits, 1 out
    4. 3.82, 3 hits, 3 out
    5. 3.99, 2 hits, 4 out
    6. 4.47, 4 hits, 2 out

Is there such a thing as too fast, Barry?
    Yes there is, Other Barry. Yes there is.
    Last edited by ToddG; 06-07-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: math is FUNdamental ... thanks GJM!

User Tag List