Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 70: Frank Garcia Dot Drill

We are diminished

Week 70: Frank Garcia Dot Drill

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 70: Frank Garcia Dot Drill
    results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Friday 7-June-2013.

designed by Frank Garcia courtesy of OrigamiAK
    Range: 7yd
    Target: six 2" dots (download a pdf version of the target)
    Start position: from the holster
    Rounds fired: 36

This drill combines a high degree of marksmanship with enough speed to put pressure on most shooters.

Set your shot timer for a 5 second PAR time. On the buzzer, draw and fire six shots at the first 2" dot on the target. Record the number of hits you achieved within the PAR time. Shots fired after the 5s PAR count as misses.

Repeat the drill with the same 5s PAR on each of the remaining dots. You will fire a total of 36 rounds with six separate start signals. Make sure you have at least six rounds loaded in your gun before starting each dot.

If your range does not allow you to draw from a holster, begin the drill from your preferred ready position.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • Start position (concealed, duty, range holster, or ready position).
    • Total number of hits (out of 36 possible).
    • Make & model of gun and holster.

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Jumping the gun a bit early here since I do this drill a lot... Down 10 (26 hits) on Wednesday night. Probably the best I've ever run this drill.

I'm ramping up for Area 5 and the Iowa Sectional, coming off a mini-break (mowing the lawn, family in town, too much work to do, etc...) and I've been noticing some focus issues: I'm getting lazy with my sight picture, allowing the front sight to wash during transitions/etc. This is a great drill to learn that vital skill.

(BTW - I've never had an issues with the par time - does anyone bump up on it?)

Shot with a Beretta Elite, 124 gr 9 + 4.0 gr titegroup, Comptac holster on my CR-speed belt.

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    BTW - I've never had an issues with the par time - does anyone bump up on it?
    In the past, I have had a hard time using the time available. The pace my body/subconscious mind thinks it can make the hits is under four seconds (it's usually wrong though.) I have made a conscious effort to be more careful lately and now shoot it in about 4.5 to 5.5 seconds, and I still don't shoot it clean even close to the majority of the time. Since this drill is above my head for now, I have been trying to be more concerned about the hits than the time, whether that time is well under the allotted five seconds, or slightly over it.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    In the past, I have had a hard time using the time available. The pace my body/subconscious mind thinks it can make the hits is under four seconds (it's usually wrong though.) I have made a conscious effort to be more careful lately and now shoot it in about 4.5 to 5.5 seconds, and I still don't shoot it clean even close to the majority of the time. Since this drill is above my head for now, I have been trying to be more concerned about the hits than the time, whether that time is well under the allotted five seconds, or slightly over it.
    It is interesting, Ben talks about this dot drill a lot in one of his podcasts, specifically, adjusting the distance if the par time is achievable.

I love this drill!

This drill ought to be called "the Humbler!"

My wife and I just went out and did this. Clever person that I am, I decided we would first each shoot 5 draws to a 8 inch steel at 25 yards, to make sure we were hard on the front sight instead of having a target focus.

Fricke Gideon, no concealment, Glock 17. My run was 22/36 (ugh) with my times about 4.5. I did get better as I progressed, getting 5/6 on the last two dots.

My wife with a G34, Safariland holster, open carry did 16/36, although she had a bunch more hits that were over time.

For fun, immediately afterwards, I threw a vest on, and tried the first two shots to the 3x5, start of the FASTest, concealed OWB. I went 2/2 twice at 1.67, and then 1 out at 1.65. I think I will add at least a dot or two of this drill to my standard practice session for a while.
    Last edited by GJM; 05-31-2013 at 10:52 PM. Reason: spell better

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This draw ought to be called "the Humbler!"

For fun, immediately afterwards, I threw a vest on, and tried the first two shots to the 3x5, start of the FASTest, concealed OWB. I went 2/2 twice at 1.67, and then 1 out at 1.65. I think I will add at least a dot or two of this drill to my standard practice session for a while.
    I totally agree with you GJM. I've come to really like this excellent, difficult, and quite cruel drill.

I also tend to shoot it in smaller chunks - one or two dots and call it good. I've read or heard that Frank Garcia uses this monstrosity as his 'basic marksmanship gateway' drill at the beginning of a practice session. If he shoots it clean (the normal outcome I understand) he proceeds with whatever he was going to work on. On the occasions he doesn't shoot it clean, he just works basic marksmanship. If true, that is a real gnarly standard.

Like all 2" circle at 7 yards drills, the key for me is to truly be ON, and stay ON, the front sight.
    Lord of the Food Court

We are diminished
    • Start position: concealed
    • Total number of hits (out of 36 possible): 33, dropped 2 on first dot, 1 on fifth
    • Make & model of gun and holster: SACS/Warren 9mm 1911 in JM Custom Kydex aiwb

Shot this at the end of about 300rd of practice so I was good & warm.

Used the NRA Range turning target system with 5s exposure instead of shot timer.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    • Start position: concealed
    • Total number of hits (out of 36 possible): 33, dropped 2 on first dot, 1 on fifth
    • Make & model of gun and holster: SACS/Warren 9mm 1911 in JM Custom Kydex aiwb

Shot this at the end of about 300rd of practice so I was good & warm.

Used the NRA Range turning target system with 5s exposure instead of shot timer.
    I think that's really good.
    Lord of the Food Court

• Start position: Concealed
    • Make & model of gun and holster: Gen3 G34, Ameriglo Defoor sights, Keeper holster

Ran it twice. First run was cold, and really sucked. 26/36, but with three overtime shots, and frankly I am not sure if those overtime shots were hits or misses so maybe it should be 23/36 (call shots much?)

ON THE SIGHTS NOW

Did it again, 32/36. Slowest run was a 4.50, fastest was a 4.23. This was a strong run for me.
    Lord of the Food Court

Maiden attempt at this famous drill a little while ago with a new Gen 4 G22 (I can find .40 ammo).

Yikes 18/36. Tough drill. Will probably give it another try tomorrow.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List