Thread: Ammo QC problems

Site Supporter

Ammo QC problems

This afternoon I got a rare chance to get out on the range and actually practice. I took 200 rounds of brand new factory .40 S&W ammo we recently received.
    Out of 200 rounds, I had 8 in which the bullets had been pushed back into the case, resulting in a way too short overall length. My gun would have fed them, but fortunately I caught them while loading magazines. The .40 is a high-pressure cartridge to begin with, and the pressure spike caused by these rounds could easily have blown up my Glock.

This was US made factory ammo, not reloads. In a class earlier this week, we got a 9mm factory round with the bullet inserted backwards. This underscores the need to give a visual and tactile inspection to EVERY round you put into your gun.

Manufacturers are busting their butts trying to meet demand. Quality control is suffering, as a result. Be careful.

That's a great wake up call and reminder. Thanks, Tom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde from Carolina View Post
    That's a great wake up call and reminder. Thanks, Tom.
    +100. Thanks
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

In my last couple of cases of Federal 9MS, I've had several rounds with rolled case rims that stopped the guns. CCI Blazer continues to be iffy (iffy-er than usual) with badly seated primers. A case of 147 HST had a coating of something over the rounds that turned my hands gray while handling.

Interesting times...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    In my last couple of cases of Federal 9MS, I've had several rounds with rolled case rims that stopped the guns.
    This was an issue before the ammo crunch.

-Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    This was an issue before the ammo crunch.

-Sent using Tapatalk
    AE comes to mind....

User Tag List