Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are KaBooms more likely with polygonal rifled barrels?

Are KaBooms more likely with polygonal rifled barrels?

I've seen a few places where Polygonal barrels should only be used with JHP or FMJ (jacketed rounds). It seems like most Instances of KaBoom I hear about come from a pistol that has a Polygonal barrel (e.g., Glock, HK). But I have heard of KaBooms happening to traditionally rifled pistols like Sig Sauer models.

Are KaBooms caused by very specific thing/s (can it be moslty isolated to lead build-up in a polygonal barrel or bad ammo or something like that)? Or can KaBooms have many causes, and all firearms (regardless of make/model) are potentially vulnerable to KaBoom?

Kabooms are usually lack of case support which means it has nothing to with the rifling but rather as the round goes off, that case is experiencing bit of pressure has a weak point where that pressure releases instead of sending it all downrange/through the barrel.

Clear as beer?
    #RESIST

We are diminished
    A kB! happens at the breech before the bullet ever contacts the rifling. Polygonal rifling has nothing to do with it. HKs have polygonal rifling and don't have a history of kB!s, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Kabooms are usually lack of case support which means it has nothing to with the rifling but rather as the round goes off, that case is experiencing bit of pressure has a weak point where that pressure releases instead of sending it all downrange/through the barrel.

Clear as beer?
    In the case of severe leading, regardless of barrel type, doesn't the semi-obstructed barrel help lead to the increased pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    In the case of severe leading, regardless of barrel type, doesn't the semi-obstructed barrel help lead to the increased pressure?
    No, as Todd pointed out; the kaboom happens before the bullet hits the rifling. It's a matter of case support, not leading nor rifling type.
    #RESIST

I have seen a G17 wrecked from being severely leaded up, but it didn't exactly "KaBoom", the barrel split lengthwise.

In my understanding it is an issue with unsupported chambers and weak or to oft reloaded cases. If you reload do not pick up cases after a USPSA match! Those guys often load to major PF and if they can't be bothered to pick up their brass then I don't want it. When I am at the range I don't even save my own brass. Instead I pick up the nice shiny once fired brass. Usually it is the .40 that is the culprit.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gvsmovcd View Post
    I've seen a few places where Polygonal barrels should only be used with JHP or FMJ (jacketed rounds). It seems like most Instances of KaBoom I hear about come from a pistol that has a Polygonal barrel (e.g., Glock, HK). But I have heard of KaBooms happening to traditionally rifled pistols like Sig Sauer models.

Are KaBooms caused by very specific thing/s (can it be moslty isolated to lead build-up in a polygonal barrel or bad ammo or something like that)? Or can KaBooms have many causes, and all firearms (regardless of make/model) are potentially vulnerable to KaBoom?
    The term KaBoom isn't a terribly diagnostic term.

Manufacturers advise against use of lead ammunition in polygonal barrels...but typically this isn't behind a KaBoom you hear of on the net. Those happen because of poor case support, a weak case that blows out, or even a weapon that fires out of battery. Glocks as a general rule do not fully support the cartridge case and on models with a lot of wear and tear can actually fail to lock up properly and fire out of battery.
    3/15/2016

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    That depends on who you ask. One formerly famous firearms journalist is very proprietary toward the term, in much the same way that J.D. Jones is regarding the word "Whisper©®™", and insists that it applies to one very specific failure mode.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Manufacturers advise against use of lead ammunition in polygonal barrels...but typically this isn't behind a KaBoom you hear of on the net. Those happen because of poor case support, a weak case that blows out, or even a weapon that fires out of battery. Glocks as a general rule do not fully support the cartridge case and on models with a lot of wear and tear can actually fail to lock up properly and fire out of battery.
    Reloaded ammo or compressed .40 loads have been the biggest culprits that I have personally seen in handguns.

User Tag List