Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Masters Swimming

Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post
    I see, so what is your goal with the swimming? To stay in shape or is it to help that particular arm? Have you tried supplementing with finning when the arm gives out? Or swimming closed handed using more legs and more body roll/longer upper body movement? I had to do this to get back in the swing of things when I dislocated my shoulder in wrestling.
    In order:

To get into shape and build the arm back up. I've only had that arm lock up once during a workout. I swim close handed exclusively.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Methinks I need to get a lesson from you, or somebody like. I do a 1 km breast stroke in a 25 m pool, flips and all, without much problems, but freestyle kicks my ass literally in 50 short ones. I assume bilateral breathing means breathing in from both sides, yes I do that, but run out of gas. Pretty sure it is rhythm, technique and breathing thing.
    Sounds like technique if you can breaststroke like that. I'd consider looking for a local Master's team or triathlete training group. These folks are very free with their knowledge if asked.
    #RESIST

Is this competition or competition inspired exercise?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Is this competition or competition inspired exercise?
    The latter with a focus on training for competition.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    I can see that. I'm not training any speed or sprint stuff right now, it's all endurance for triathlon training. Does it make sense to work in speed when I'm focused solely on an event where I'm trying to conserve my legs (and rest of my body) as much as possible? Our mantra is usually: "You can't win the race in the water, but you can lose it there."

~ Typos brought to you by my laziness & in attention to detail.
    Yea, I'm of the opinion that if your breathing is holding you back then you need to focus on rythm/technique and if you continue to swim lap after lap out of rythm you can develop really bad form/habits like trying to breath over the wake exc. it's good to do sprints one after the other With little rest inbetween. Do like 10 50s with 10 second breaks in between exc. you still need to practice your enduro stuff so you will know your pace. It's super important to always be practicing proper teqnique and if your out of rythm use training aids.

I have not done a triathlon in a long time but I do know that the better your breathing and teqnique is the less work you will do in the water. So while you can't win it can definately wear you out for the next events.

Sprints are also what will help make you stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    In order:

To get into shape and build the arm back up. I've only had that arm lock up once during a workout. I swim close handed exclusively.
    Does breast stroke hurt your arm?

How old do you have to be to swim the masters program? I've just been swimming on my own after highschool and would love to get involved with something like club.

Do they have competitive meets?

Does breast stroke hurt your arm?

How old do you have to be to swim the masters program? I've just been swimming on my own after highschool and would love to get involved with something like club.

Do they have competitive meets?
    Not sure; haven't done it for Master's yet.

18 or older.

Yup.
    #RESIST

Yea, I'm of the opinion that if your breathing is holding you back then you need to focus on rythm/technique and if you continue to swim lap after lap out of rythm you can develop really bad form/habits like trying to breath over the wake exc. it's good to do sprints one after the other With little rest inbetween. Do like 10 50s with 10 second breaks in between exc. you still need to practice your enduro stuff so you will know your pace. It's super important to always be practicing proper teqnique and if your out of rythm use training aids.

I have not done a triathlon in a long time but I do know that the better your breathing and teqnique is the less work you will do in the water. So while you can't win it can definately wear you out for the next events.

Sprints are also what will help make you stronger.
    Okay. I'll mention this to my coach, who very well may have the speed stuff in store for me once my form is more solid and consistent. I imagine the sprint work is similar to running wind sprints as far as building both speed and stamina. Thanks for the tips!

~ Typos brought to you by my laziness & in attention to detail.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

User Tag List