Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters Swimming

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm not doing TI technique. Are you doing rhythmic or bilateral breathing?
    I'm doing bilateral... mostly. I end up having breathing issues whenever I go try speeding up, which usually happens because i am afraid of running out of air & sucking water, so I try to create a bigger trough with speed. It's my quicksand. When I do catch-up drill I have no issues at all and have gone 600 yards, so I know it's just me panicking a little and losing my rythym.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    I'm doing bilateral... mostly. I end up having breathing issues whenever I go try speeding up, which usually happens because i am afraid of running out of air & sucking water, so I try to create a bigger trough with speed. It's my quicksand. When I do catch-up drill I have no issues at all and have gone 600 yards, so I know it's just me panicking a little and losing my rythym.
    Are you rolling your head with your hips and breathing in the air pocket as you barely roll your head (once again, timing the roll of your head with your hips)?

If you don't yet have the lung power for bilateral, see what your coach thinks about going rhythmic for a week or two.
    #RESIST

If you don't yet have the lung power for bilateral, see what your coach thinks about going rhythmic for a week or two.
    What always helped for me was swimming "lefty" for a few sessions. really forced me to concentrate on form. After that, bilateral was easy mode. I'm not a coach or anything, just a life-long swimmer, so take it fwiw.

Also, could someone delete this thread real quick? It's reminding me of the only thing I miss about Miami. Nothing like swimming in the open ocean...
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Site Supporter
    Unless I can see to the bottom, I'd rather not swim in the ocean. This is much more appealing:

From DCRainmaker:

I'm not new to this swimming thing I'm doing bilateral breathing, flip turning, etc, and have no problems at all with my form. The biggest problem is this arm locking up on me. I can do a 50 meter underwater swim without coming up for air if I push off both walls.

Our workout is a structured workout with sprints and whatnot.
    I see, so what is your goal with the swimming? To stay in shape or is it to help that particular arm? Have you tried supplementing with finning when the arm gives out? Or swimming closed handed using more legs and more body roll/longer upper body movement? I had to do this to get back in the swing of things when I dislocated my shoulder in wrestling.

Are you rolling your head with your hips and breathing in the air pocket as you barely roll your head (once again, timing the roll of your head with your hips)?

Solid advice

Yeah. Been working a lot of side swim drills. Lungs are still weak but improving. Usually breathing bilaterally every 3rd stroke. My form breaks down when I rush things. Typical problem for most activities one is new to.

The catch up drills force me to take it slow which in turn helps me keep my form longer. I know I'm just still adjusting to it all as the issues seem to be magnified when I'm trying to put all the pieces together at speed, not unlike shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    I usually don't breath bi laterally during quick sprints. The only reason you do it is so you don't train yourself into a crab over the long run. When going fast do what feels natural, not what makes you choke down water. Def try to swim bilateral on longer stints
    . Also focus on exhaling as soon as your head goes back under the water. If your exhaling as your coming up for air your rythm/many other problems will be occurring.
    Also like I said earlier when going for teqnique don't go past the limit of your lungs. Do shorter sprints and work on your lungs separately or use find to help if you have too.
    Last edited by justintime; 05-28-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post
    I usually don't breath bi laterally during quick sprints. The only reason you do it is so you don't train yourself into a crab over the long run. When going fast do what feels natural, not what makes you choke down water. Def try to swim bilateral on longer stints
    . Also focus on exhaling as soon as your head goes back under the water. If your exhaling as your coming up for air your rythm/many other problems will be occurring.
    Also like I said earlier when going for teqnique don't go past the limit of your lungs. Do shorter sprints and work on your lungs separately or use find to help if you have too.
    I can see that. I'm not training any speed or sprint stuff right now, it's all endurance for triathlon training. Does it make sense to work in speed when I'm focused solely on an event where I'm trying to conserve my legs (and rest of my body) as much as possible? Our mantra is usually: "You can't win the race in the water, but you can lose it there."

~ Typos brought to you by my laziness & in attention to detail.

Methinks I need to get a lesson from you, or somebody like. I do a 1 km breast stroke in a 25 m pool, flips and all, without much problems, but freestyle kicks my ass literally in 50 short ones. I assume bilateral breathing means breathing in from both sides, yes I do that, but run out of gas. Pretty sure it is rhythm, technique and breathing thing.

User Tag List