Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters Swimming

Masters Swimming

Anyone else doing this? I am for the obvious reason and am doing well but getting worn out swimming nearly a mile a session.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    #RESIST

Not Masters, but I am being coached and training for triathlon. Not the same but still a real workout.

~ Typos brought to you by my laziness & in attention to detail.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

We're averaging over one mile a night; around 1800-2000 meters of freestyle. Got a really good coach that swims with us.
    #RESIST

Swimming been my main sport my whole life. I typically swim 2 miles in the morning before school and every other day 3 mil ontop of that in the evenings. I wish I had time to swim more. A mile isn't bad when your starting out. The biggest thing that gets you is breathing and poor form as you can easily over work yourself with poor breathing and form. Are you doing multiple strokes? Swimming 1 mile outright? Try to break it up at first and work legs and then arms in 250 meter increments. Work on water confidence under the water so you can hold more air for longer.

If your struggling with air in enduro swimming its going to kill form and make a mile seem really hard. Need to keep pace with your lungs and swim sprints for distance. Not saying that's your problem but that's what I see most of the time.

Site Supporter
    One of my kids is in a local swim club (over 800 swimmers!)
    I calculated the other day that they swam roughly 7,000 yards (~4 miles) in a recent practice session. ~2:15
    +/- depending on what stroke they're working on... They swim 6 days a week (5 required).

Watching a club swimmer eat is fun, just don't let your fingers get too close to the buzz saw.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    We're averaging over one mile a night; around 1800-2000 meters of freestyle. Got a really good coach that swims with us.
    Nice! I'm still in the "crawl" stage and basically doing a Couch-to-Iron Man training. I'd like to do my first IM before my 50th in 18 months so i had to start somewhere.

LL & justintime

Are either of you using the TI technique? That's what my coach has got me working on to save my legs for the rest of the tri.

Of yeah, and my breathing still sucks! Only been at it for two weeks, 3-5 days a week, but i can't get past 275 yards without getting gassed. I have a hard time relaxing and then tend to rush it a bit which gets me off my breathing rythym. :banghead:

Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post
    A mile isn't bad when your starting out. The biggest thing that gets you is breathing and poor form as you can easily over work yourself with poor breathing and form. Are you doing multiple strokes? Swimming 1 mile outright? Try to break it up at first and work legs and then arms in 250 meter increments. Work on water confidence under the water so you can hold more air for longer.
    I'm not new to this swimming thing I'm doing bilateral breathing, flip turning, etc, and have no problems at all with my form. The biggest problem is this arm locking up on me. I can do a 50 meter underwater swim without coming up for air if I push off both walls.

Our workout is a structured workout with sprints and whatnot.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    LL & justintime

Are either of you using the TI technique? That's what my coach has got me working on to save my legs for the rest of the tri.

Of yeah, and my breathing still sucks! Only been at it for two weeks, 3-5 days a week, but i can't get past 275 yards without getting gassed. I have a hard time relaxing and then tend to rush it a bit which gets me off my breathing rythym. :banghead:
    I'm not doing TI technique. Are you doing rhythmic or bilateral breathing?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm not new to this swimming thing I'm doing bilateral breathing, flip turning, etc, and have no problems at all with my form. The biggest problem is this arm locking up on me. I can do a 50 meter underwater swim without coming up for air if I push off both walls.

Our workout is a structured workout with sprints and whatnot.
    You get one little arm blown off & it's wa wa wa!!!!! Chesty would roll over in his grave if he heard this. Ha ha, just kidding.

User Tag List