Thread: Dillon 1050 questions.

Site Supporter

Dillon 1050 questions.

Hi guys I've been loading on a Dillon Square Deal for a few years now and it is a good press I would buy one again.

However I am finding that I am spending more time than I would like reloading so I am looking at buying myself a RL1050 so I can load bulk ammo in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm only looking at having it for one caliber and not changing it over, it will be loading 38Super.

I'd like to run a bullet feeder, I'm thinking a Mr bulletfeeder. Is there anything else out there that I should look at ?

Are there any spare parts or accessories I should get wile ordering ?

Any one running a 1050 what would you do if setting one up again ?

Thanks Dave.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

We are diminished
    I don't know when he'll see this or have a chance to answer, but JV has become the undisputed expert of 1050s around here lately.

I have run a 1050 since 1980 something, It stayed set up for 1 45acp load 230 gr bullet, 5.7gr WW231, large pistol primer(mostly WW some CCI) mostly WW brass.
    Loaded 200,000+ rounds. Great machine good service. I would like a bullet feeder.
    Make sure you set it up at a height that lets you stand straight using it. I wish the plastic handle had a ball on the end of the horizontal part so I could vary grip and reduce repetitive use injuries.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    Are there any spare parts or accessories I should get wile ordering ?
    I ordered the Dillon spare parts kit with my unit, it's proven handy more than a few times. The 1050 comes setup pretty well from the start, unlike some of their other units.

If you get a bullet feeder, you won't be able to use the Dillon powder check system because they occupy the same stage on the press. But, if you pick your powders carefully you should be able to avoid a double charge because the case will overflow. I don't have a bullet feeder yet, but the Double Alpha (Mr. Bullet) setup seems to be the way to go.

I would make sure that you get enough primer pickup tubes to load a decent amount of ammo. I have 10 or 12 so I can load a case of ammo without stopping to load the tubes.

It needs to be mounted on a rock solid table. I store all of my extra bullets on a shelf below the press to add additional stability.

Keep in mind that the 1050 does not get the same warranty as the other units.

On what JV said about powder, AVOID Bullseye and any low volume high pressure spike powders. Most double charges I know of have been with Bullseye.
    Also get their RF 100 primer tube filler machine, very good unit.

I don't remember when I got my 1050, but it was $850 straight from Dillon.

I shoot revolver some and I really, really like that you can adjust the depth that the primer is seated.

I have the spare parts kit and it has come in handy.

I have 4 primer tubes. That way I can load 500 rounds, then take a few minute break to reload primer tubes. I will load 500 rounds in a few minutes then decide if I want to load more or wait for another day.

I have several tool heads already set up for other calibers. It takes about 20 minutes to change over if I keep the same size primer.

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys.

So I'm going to need at least ten primer tubes, or a primer tube filling machine.

I will order a spare parts kit wile I'm at it.

Are all you guys loading standing up with your 1050 ? My bench is a good height for sitting down but I can build something to make it the right height for standing if need be.

I have been using a powder that I have a lot on hand... more than a years worth but I may have to have a look and see if the case over flows when I double charge it... Thanks for the tip. I have been thinking of going to a slower powder it's a bit of a snappy load and right on the limit.

I have not even seen a 1050 in person so I'm not too sure on what size they are and the swing on the lever.... All I know is I want lots of ammo and I don't have lots of time to make it.

I wish they were still $850.

Site Supporter
    Are all you guys loading standing up with your 1050 ? My bench is a good height for sitting down but I can build something to make it the right height for standing if need be.
    I stand, but I also have a bar stool that's the right height for sitting while loading.

I have been using a powder that I have a lot on hand... more than a years worth but I may have to have a look and see if the case over flows when I double charge it... Thanks for the tip. I have been thinking of going to a slower powder it's a bit of a snappy load and right on the limit.
    If your powder is capable of a double charge, you just need to be careful after clearing a jam. While you're learning the press, I would recommend clearing the shell plate (removing the brass from each stage) after a jam to make sure something doesn't get charged twice.

I wish they were still $850.
    Enos used to give cash discounts, it was only available by phone/email. I saved $100'ish on my setup by mailing a check.
    Last edited by JV_; 05-26-2013 at 12:08 PM.

I'd recommend getting a package or two of the plastic nozzles that go on the primer magazine tube - for some reason they don't have a part number in the manual, but Dillon will send you some if you ask. The nozzles get dirty and worn out, and replacing them every so often will help minimize the dreaded sideways primer malfunction.

Also, spend some time shimming the primer slide. I cut small U-shaped shims from an old soda can, and insert them between the machine frame and the primer slide stop. The purpose of these shims is to precisely center the primer slide pocket under the magazine tube. A good test is to take a single primer, drop it into the magazine tube, then cycle the handle and see if the primer drops into the primer slide properly. If your machine can pass this test twenty times in a row, you've got it adjusted right.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Site Supporter
    Thanks again guys.

I'll add some of the little nozzles to my order.

I did check to see if I could double charge a case the other day it fills it to the to of the case but dose not over flow the case, I didn't try and seat a bullet but I think it would be pretty hard to do seat one.

Anyway I will have to be carful.

User Tag List