Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entry Point Hardening

I have added these to all of our exterior doors as well as some key interior doors, in addition to most things suggested above.
    www.nightlock.com
    They work well and are unobtrusive to the casual glance.

Also if you have doors with large areas of glass consider adding security film to the glass.

Sent from this using that...

If I am protecting against home invasion, adding a couple of $30 gimmicks is not going to do much.

Rebuilding the door frames using aluminum or steel, long mounting bolts, and heavy duty fire doors gives you a start for the gadgets to be effective. But just placing them on existing residential doors won't even slow down a guy who has spend his life breaking into residential doors.

Quote Originally Posted by NCMedic View Post
    I have added these to all of our exterior doors as well as some key interior doors, in addition to most things suggested above.
    www.nightlock.com
    They work well and are unobtrusive to the casual glance.

Also if you have doors with large areas of glass consider adding security film to the glass.

One of the crime prevention officers for a local PD recommends these as well. He says they are particularly helpful if you have French doors.

As other's have mentioned, metal doors and frames.

I also plan on some sort of window security film:
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3..._Window_Films/

Motion detecting lights are a relatively inexpensive upgrade

Alarm system with outside sirens and lights, and an alarm panel in the master bedroom that tells you what entry point has been breached

Large dog

I was at the Disruptive Environments class with Travis Haley at Cory and Erika's range a couple weekends ago, and he briefly touched on this subject. He recommended having a plan and concentric rings of security, so that hopefully people see your house as a more difficult target and move on to the next one, or by the time they get to layer 2 or 3 they just decide it's too difficult and give up. He also gave a tip about sitting in your house at night with the lights out to learn where natural light comes in, and what areas are lighter or darker. Not sure how related that is, but I found it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoom15 View Post
    also gave a tip about sitting in your house at night with the lights out to learn where natural light comes in, and what areas are lighter or darker. Not sure how related that is, but I found it interesting.
    It will let you see where the shadows and potential areas for someone to lurk or hide. It can give you a idea of where to place exterior lights, etc.
    Looking out and in your windows can also give you a lot of information about what you can and can't see, can also help you to place exterior cameras if that's your thing

User Tag List