Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ammo seems to be eaing up in fla area

Site Supporter
    Heck I'd stock up on magazines and other misc parts, while ammo is still high.

No changes here in Raleigh, NC... Walmart shelves still bare and have the 3 box per customer/day limit signs posted.

The LGS I frequent isn't much better. Nothing worth buying for defensive loads in any of the standard calibers and high prices for whatever they do have in stock for FMJ loads.

I'm gonna start looking at learning how to reload soon. I'll just need to figure out if the needed components are available at a sane price point.

It's getting depressing. I haven't had live fire time for 3 months now. I am one if those saps who didn't stock up enough ammo when it was available, note I'm kicking myself repeatedly each week. :banghead:
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Went into the local Mountain of Geese yesterday afternoon. It was depressing. Your ammo choices in centerfire handgun ball ammo was thus:

• Winchester Super X .30 Mauser, ~$80/50rds
    • American Eagle 10mm Auto, ~$50/50rds
    • Remington .32 S&W Long, ~$35/50rds

There was about a case of each, spread out in a single 1-deep/1-high row so that the thirty boxes covered the whole frontage of a single shelf.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Went into the local Mountain of Geese yesterday afternoon. It was depressing. Your ammo choices in centerfire handgun ball ammo was thus:

• Winchester Super X .30 Mauser, ~$80/50rds
    • American Eagle 10mm Auto, ~$50/50rds
    • Remington .32 S&W Long, ~$35/50rds

There was about a case of each, spread out in a single 1-deep/1-high row so that the thirty boxes covered the whole frontage of a single shelf.
    At my local Emporium for Professional Largemouth, it was .327 Federal, .38 Super and .41 Magnum.

At least Ace Hardware seems to be getting some 9mm FMJ and .38 Special in alongside their lonely partial box of .475 Linebaugh.

The story here (south Louisiana) is one I'm hearing repeated by acquaintances in other parts of the country:

The "big box" outlets (Wal-Mart, Academy Sports, etc.) that have not stooped to price-gouging are still bereft of ammo. They are getting it, but the vultures are there at the door waiting, with a lot of straw purchaser buddies to get around the box-per limit, and by mid-morning its all gone until the next truck arrives. The gun shops have ammo, but at ludicrous prices. And they aren't selling any more of it at those inflated prices, but apparently refuse to come down. The one exception is the "reloading store"; he's doing his best to remain fair while still making a profit. A good guy, caught between a rock and a hard place. I don't envy him.

An unexpected effect that hopefully will ease soon is a dearth of paying customers at the several area indoor ranges. I know that the one I patronize has been staying afloat mainly through rental time to police/government agencies and CCW classes.

Buying ammo at Wal Mart or wherever to immediately resell for a profit on the intardnets is in fact a crime. If I get the chance to do so I am going to put a case on somebody doing this locally.

A news story about doing federal prison time might help slow down the scumbaggery.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Buying ammo at Wal Mart or wherever to immediately resell for a profit on the intardnets is in fact a crime. .
    But (unless an area has a local ordinance) its a federal crime. I can guarantee you that the district attorney's office here would laugh us out the door if we brought a "case" involving this to them. Not that they would consider it a non-crime... no, they have over-full dockets dealing with the local fauna whacking each other, and no-driving/bad-wreck-causing pinheads killing and maiming folks.

Dunno, you might could get the BAT-men interested if you approached the right one... but you have to wonder what THEIR priorities are. Google "Thuggin' It and Lovin' It!"... i.e., a video made right here in good old Baton Rouge, showing known multiple offender convicted felons brandishing and shooting a plethora of weapons.

They (ATF and FBI) wouldn't touch it.

It would be a great use of "you might beat the wrap, but you're still taking the ride". I'd love to see a flipper cuffed and stuffed for a few hours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

We have our own ATF task force officer and a very good working relationship with the feds.

I have already checked into this. Trust me, I can make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    We have our own ATF task force officer and a very good working relationship with the feds.

I have already checked into this. Trust me, I can make it happen.
    Should be easy to set up then. Find a local flipper, set up a buy, bust him, get him to admit it during interrogation.

Just make sure the feds are committed to following through; otherwise, guess who's left holding the bag when prosecution is declined and your criminal starts screaming false arrest, etc.?

We have a "task force"/fusion arrangement here too... and I still don't trust them any further than I can spit upwind.

I understand your desire/motivations in this, but dude... lots of possibilities for it to go sideways, y'know?

User Tag List